Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
The ford 400 platform is really not much of a engine. You could see much better numbers from a simple 351 w setup, and it will be a drop in proposition. If you are looking for larger cubes, either stroke a small block, or look at the FE blocks (390 is a great platform to start with) but the 400 is a totaly different animal that wasn't well concieved from the get-go. The other difficulty you would run in to would be the availability of aftermarket hp parts for the 400, they are out there but would be much more difficult to find than the small block or fe parts.

It probably can be done, but imho, is not the best of ideas unless it is your only option.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
My vote for the 460!:hihi::hihi: Yes, you would have a hard time finding performance parts for the 400. With the 429/460 block they have everything to pretty much just drop it in without major modifications.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
There's no kit to make it drop in, so it'd be a lot of work for it. Only for a "dare to be different" thing, in my opinion.

·
Registered
552 Posts
do a 408w

the 460 is a decent build... buts its more of a once its in, its done.

anything you wanna do the motor and trans has to be pulled

R

·
0 Posts
the 460 is a decent build... buts its more of a once its in, its done.

anything you wanna do the motor and trans has to be pulled
I sure the guys in here that have 460's in their fox body cars will totally disagree with this piece of incorrect information .....

Same as i do.....

Please respond with facts not speculation.....

·
Registered
552 Posts
I sure the guys in here that have 460's in their fox body cars will totally disagree with this piece of incorrect information .....

Same as i do.....

i only know of two guys that have them in their car..

and both started as bone stock just to get them running..

on had a c6 problem, and pulled the motor and trans, the other wanted different headers and just pulled the motor up a little just to swap those..

never heard of anything good on the swap, except 400tq and 200hp

R

·
0 Posts
i only know of two guys that have them in their car..

and both started as bone stock just to get them running..

on had a c6 problem, and pulled the motor and trans, the other wanted different headers and just pulled the motor up a little just to swap those..

never heard of anything good on the swap, except 400tq and 200hp

you need to get out more....

check this out......

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/1495283-post1.html

·
Registered
547 Posts
pulling the engine makes life alot easier but i dont think you have to pull it to do everything, as for the guy with the c6 issue why would he pull the engine out? bellhousing bolts not coming out? and the guy with the headers, if they were long tubes i dont blame the guy its so much easier, i dont think long tubes will go in without lifting the engine

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
I dont know about the ford 400 but i had a friend who put a chevy 400 in. It was some work but she fit.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

Same as i do.....

Sorry late in this conversation, but yes I totally disagree!! I do not have to lift my motor to remove the headers or install them. I use a Chevy trans with a plate and everything drops right in. In some cases it is much easier to remove the motor trans combo over just the trans. Unless you have a lift and a trans jack for support I can have my motor and trans out in a couple hours and that's including monkeying with the header bolts. That's the longest part of the process. Everything is just like installing a small block.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
So will a 429 with a C6 fit in a fox body just droping it in? (without welding)
Once you buy the after market K-member you can put ANYTHING in there including a 454 BB Chevy.

I can not speak from experience on using a C6 im using a TH400 chevy trans. The motor connected to the trans slips right in. I did not have to weld anything! I had to have a transmission cross brace fab because of the trans I chose.

The K-member is the key. Not that expensive either. But not heard of using the 400 though in all of the swap magazines I've read. Not saying it can't be done, just not common.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.