Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I did a search on the forums and the web. Have any of you use a 64GB flash drive with Sync and had success? Thank ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yes as long as it's formatted FAT32

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
It will probably take a while to find all of the songs though!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It will probably take a while to find all of the songs though!
Naww, I have over 200Gb of music on mine (500gb portable drive), it works just fine, although with over 10,000 songs SYNC won't accept voice commands by track. 64 GB will be absolutely fine.

The only time it re-indexes is if you actually remove the drive, write to it, then put it back in. It sees that the drive has changed and updates the library. As long as you don't rewrite the drive it rarely re-indexes.

·
Banned
902 Posts
Yes as long as it's formatted FAT32
Always wondered how they figured out how to configure software to outsmart the inherent limitations FAT32, as there's a 4gb barrier for the bits and bytes. Is it now really 16 4gb slices 'under the hood'? Either way, you may run into indexing issues with such a large drive for a mobile system.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Always wondered how they figured out how to configure software to outsmart the inherent limitations FAT32, as there's a 4gb barrier for the bits and bytes. Is it now really 16 4gb slices 'under the hood'? Either way, you may run into indexing issues with such a large drive for a mobile system.
Had it in for a year now with no problems ... The only time I had an issue was when I cloned all 400 gb from my collection on the car's drive it didn't seem to index them all. Anywhere up to 200 gb is no issue.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
286 Posts
Our Sych system was developed between Ford and Microsoft. I own a Microsoft Zune (which should be perfect for use with Sync, right?) and I routinely have to keep the # of songs low (well below 4000) on it because Sync will stop indexing. Once you find the sweet spot it seems okay though. OP should be fine with a flash drive. Just don't try running a USB hub, that won't work. I recommend tapping the second USB port in the glovebox.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I have one of these in 32GB and it holds more than enough music for me (I'm not a huge audiophile guy though):

Fits perfect too:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Our Sych system was developed between Ford and Microsoft. I own a Microsoft Zune (which should be perfect for use with Sync, right?) and I routinely have to keep the # of songs low (well below 4000) on it because Sync will stop indexing. Once you find the sweet spot it seems okay though. OP should be fine with a flash drive. Just don't try running a USB hub, that won't work. I recommend tapping the second USB port in the glovebox.

I run a small 32Gb drive as well and have noticed the indexing is limited to small groups. I think this is only apparent when you set the drive to shuffle songs. It will only shuffle a subset of songs until you force it to skip to a different group. I don't think it can 'see' the entire drive at one time.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Only reason I said what I did is that I have an aftermarket JVC in my 03 and it re-indexes the drive every time the car starts again, depending on the size it takes longer.

As for FAT32 its something about fat32 and radios that just works, any other format and you get disk read errors.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have one of these in 32GB and it holds more than enough music for me (I'm not a huge audiophile guy though):

Fits perfect too:

That's pretty cool. I'll keep that in mind. It won't fit all my music, but you're right it is a perfect fit. I'm gonna check if they make a 64GB in a moment. Thanks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a 500gb hdd in usb2. Formatted as fat32 and works fine. About 250–300g full. I made sure there was less than 10000 files. There are about 8000. Initial indexing took 10 mins or so. Doesn't re index unless drive changes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do all the 2013 Premium Mustangs have the USB music storage option? Or is it just with the Electronics Package?
I'm pretty sure that all Premium Mustangs have Sync and Shaker 500.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This might a good time to ask. Has any ones Ipod not able to sync up to the head unit?

My car dosn't recognize my ipod.... But it recognizes my Ipone.... WTH lol.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
which gen iPod is it? It could be that the older ones had a different order for the charging pins that wont work with many new radios.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My iPhone 4 synced just fine via USB when I got the car at the end of July '11. Shortly after that I resurrected my old iPod Classic (120GB) for my music library and only sync my iPhone via Bluetooth for streaming audio (usually podcasts).

The iPod Classic via USB is hit or miss. Sometimes the system announces that there are too many songs for voice commands to work, but usually voice commands work fine. For some reason it has to initialize each time I start the car, so I can't select a different album or song or playlist for a few minutes after starting and can't expect voice commands to work for several minutes.

The sales lady at the dealership stepped me through the process of syncing my iPhone and downloading the address book, but somewhere along the way (it may have been after an iPhone system update) the address book disappeared from my car and I haven't been able to download it since.

I haven't had any problems charging.

I haven't tried a flash drive. How are playlists handled with a flash drive? Are there playlist files that I have to download to the drive?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
its not an issue with charging its an issue with the way the radio reads the iPod as a disk through the charging port, there is an adapter that can help though, its 20 bucks, and may be worth a shot.

·
Official Ford Rep
433 Posts
This might a good time to ask. Has any ones Ipod not able to sync up to the head unit?
The only incompatible iPod is the Shuffle. Which iPod do you have?

My iPhone 4 synced just fine via USB when I got the car at the end of July '11. Shortly after that I resurrected my old iPod Classic (120GB) for my music library and only sync my iPhone via Bluetooth for streaming audio (usually podcasts).

The iPod Classic via USB is hit or miss. Sometimes the system announces that there are too many songs for voice commands to work, but usually voice commands work fine. For some reason it has to initialize each time I start the car, so I can't select a different album or song or playlist for a few minutes after starting and can't expect voice commands to work for several minutes.

The sales lady at the dealership stepped me through the process of syncing my iPhone and downloading the address book, but somewhere along the way (it may have been after an iPhone system update) the address book disappeared from my car and I haven't been able to download it since.

I haven't had any problems charging.

I haven't tried a flash drive. How are playlists handled with a flash drive? Are there playlist files that I have to download to the drive?
Is your phone still paired, Ragtop? Although it will restore your settings to factory defaults, I recommend performing a Master Reset and then pairing your phone again.

Navigation radio:
1. Press the phone button on the radio.
2. Select SETTINGS.
3. Select ADVANCED.
4. Scroll down to MASTER RESET.

Standard radio:
Note: To scroll use your seek arrows.

1. Press PHONE to enter the PHONE MENU.
2. Scroll repeatedly until SYSTEM SETTINGS appears in the radio display.
3. Press OK to enter the SYSTEM SETTINGS menu.
4. Scroll repeatedly until ADVANCED appears in the radio display. Press OK.
5. Scroll repeatedly until MASTER RESET appears in the radio display
6. Press OK.

If you prefer to create a playlist for your USB, you can do so using Windows Media Player:

- Make sure the music is listed on the flash drive.
- Transfer the music from the flash drive to Windows Media player in the Media Library tab.
- Click on Playlists, and then Create New Playlist.
- Go back to the Media Library and Sort the music by the file name to show the file path starting with the Flash Drive Location (E.g…E:\Music\MyMusic\...).
- Select the songs that you would like to add to the playlist and drag and drop them, or right click them and send them to the correct playlist.
- Once the playlist is complete, click on File and then Save Playlist As.
- Click on My Computer, and then select the drive associated with the flash drive.
- Change the Save As Type to Any Playlist.
- Name the file and click on Save.

If anyone has additional questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. :)
Jaclyn

·
Registered
62 Posts
My iPhone is paired via Bluetooth running iOS version 5.1

I've already tried a master reset. It will download the call history, but not the phonebook. :headscratch:

EDIT: It's an iPhone 4, not the 4S.

·
Registered
240 Posts

My ipod classic works "fine". I have to reset the #3 breaker once in awhile, but other than that no problems, except for when I about 13,000 songs on it, it wouldn't let me use voice commands because of too many songs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts