Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting a gear in my car someday, I was thinking 3.55 so I could have my highway drving, but IM considering 3.73, since the difference should be pretty slim.

Would a low gear like these wear out the car? Ie bushings, driveshaft yoke, etc?????????????????

:)

·
Registered
527 Posts
It won't change the wear on that stuff at all. The only thing to watch is that you will have a higher rpm at a lower speed. That won't wear out the engine in itself, but you would be more likely to over rev, or run to high of rpms for to long on the highway.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmmm thanks. Just wondering , someone else said my parts may wear out quicker. Not that I m afraid to replace parts w better parts :gringreen but I just dont want hell on wheels. :laugh:

Im thinking 3.73 now yes, theres not a big difference b/n that and 3.55 anyway right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would go 3.55, but thats me. Thats what I did and im happy with it on the highway. 3.73's it too high for my liking on the highway for long trips.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
hmmmm thanks. Just wondering , someone else said my parts may wear out quicker. Not that I m afraid to replace parts w better parts :gringreen but I just dont want hell on wheels. :laugh:

Im thinking 3.73 now yes, theres not a big difference b/n that and 3.55 anyway right?

If you're going from 3.55-3.73 gears than you won't feel much of a difference since you already made a big jump from the 2.73's(3.08's depending on options). 3.73's are the best all around gears for a 5.0 but if you're looking to "feel" a change than go with some 3.90's or even 4.10 if it doesn't see highway use much.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Im bout to do mine by the end of the summer. Im going to go with 4.10s in my AOD. Go big or go home.:bigthumbsupIt will see like 20 highway miles a day

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I've been running a 3.73 for 2 years and I wouldn't change it for anything. Those who keep recommending a 4.10 for an automatic don't realise that:

1. The highway cruise rpm will be too high for some.
2. If you run at the strip, you'll find the tranny shifting into overdrive long before you reach the 1/4 mile trap.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
As for normal wear and tear in relation to the higher engine speed, then yes they will but not like some would say about it wearing things out. What'll wear it out would be you making use of those gears with your right foot.

As for the difference in highway cruise rpms between 3:55 and 3:73, it's about 200 rpm higher with the 3:73's. No biggie. As for those racing, you shouldn't have an AOD shifted to go into OD anyway.
And most of all, the argument about affecting your top end on the highway isn't valid because who's going to be reaching top speed on the highway anyway? That means you're racing which shouldn't be happening.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.