Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kind of a stupid question,but because of a few buddies of mine,I didn't put one on a few months back,they told me to sick with the chip. I think the vortech one I was lookin at was like 500rwhp or something. Maybe they were talkin about 500HP would blow my trans, or maybe a supercharger would do it(a good one anyway).If anyone has an Automatic with a S.C.,give me your experience!,and anyone else please give me some knowledge.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Assuming you have 01 from your name; stock Vortech V2 SQ1 w/o aftercooler would be about 325rwhp+ on your mostly stock motor. I'd suggest a trans-cooler for sure, and replacing stock trans pan w/one that has a drain plug, and replacing fluid/filter considerably more often than you would w/o the S/C. Other than that, good transmissions. Guys will pop in here and start talking high stall-speed convertors - I say no for the street; run the stock torque convertor. Some shifting mods (the J-Mod) may be worth looking at. Will the car be raced? Long-term plans for car?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
meatball said:
Assuming you have 01 from your name; stock Vortech V2 SQ1 w/o aftercooler would be about 325rwhp+ on your mostly stock motor. I'd suggest a trans-cooler for sure, and replacing stock trans pan w/one that has a drain plug, and replacing fluid/filter considerably more often than you would w/o the S/C. Other than that, good transmissions. Guys will pop in here and start talking high stall-speed convertors - I say no for the street; run the stock torque convertor. Some shifting mods (the J-Mod) may be worth looking at. Will the car be raced? Long-term plans for car?
Hey,that's good to know.I don't really plan to race it,other than on the streets and I do have "long term" plans for it,but! it all depends on what the wife lets me do to it(due to $$$$). A few months back,when I was going to buy a s/c,she was upset that I was going to spend $3200+ on my car,when I could of been spending it on something else.I DON'T WANT ANYTHING ELSE!!!(that doesn't have to due w/my Mustang). Tipical wife though! Thanks for that bit of info,good to know.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
As long as you aren't trying to push insane amounts of boost through the engine, no, it won't blow up. Generally speaking, auto trannies are stronger than manuals. I know a guy with 500rwhp on his 00 GT and he still has the stock auto tranny. Not that I would recommend doing that, but it goes to show how strong the piece can be.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I wouldn't supercharge your car even if the tranny could withstand the power. The fact is, superchargers damage engines over time even when running small amounts of boost. Nitrous is the same way. If you push your pistons to their limits, they're sure to **** up. Why do you think Ford made the 4.6L engines naturally aspirated? I have owned two turbo charged cars, and both were not worth the time or hassle. If your car is going to be your daily driver, I would stick to N/A. But if it's going to be a weekend driver and you have time to fix the thing, go for it. That's just my opinion.

Tanner

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's what I've heard.

the98stang said:
I wouldn't supercharge your car even if the tranny could withstand the power. The fact is, superchargers damage engines over time even when running small amounts of boost. Nitrous is the same way. If you push your pistons to their limits, they're sure to **** up. Why do you think Ford made the 4.6L engines naturally aspirated? I have owned two turbo charged cars, and both were not worth the time or hassle. If your car is going to be your daily driver, I would stick to N/A. But if it's going to be a weekend driver and you have time to fix the thing, go for it. That's just my opinion.

Tanner
So s/c's will ruin engines too?I knew Nitous would,but I figured s/c'ers were better for ingines.Oh well!....What about the chip? something like 25rwhp,do you Think that's the way to go?

·
Registered
604 Posts
mustangman01 said:
So s/c's will ruin engines too?I knew Nitous would,but I figured s/c'ers were better for ingines.Oh well!....What about the chip? something like 25rwhp,do you Think that's the way to go?
All power adders (S/c's, nitrous, turbo's) put more stress on the engine. These setups CAN be safe, if the proper safe guards are used. In example, window switches for nitrous. But I have heard some aweful stories about nitrous. All it takes is one user error, and the engine is screwed. In my opinion, naturally aspirated is the way to go. You may spend more money for the extra horsepower, but at least your engine will be in tact. I'm not sure what gains are available with SCT tuners.

G

·
the98stang said:
All power adders (S/c's, nitrous, turbo's) put more stress on the engine. These setups CAN be safe, if the proper safe guards are used. In example, window switches for nitrous. But I have heard some aweful stories about nitrous. All it takes is one user error, and the engine is screwed. In my opinion, naturally aspirated is the way to go. You may spend more money for the extra horsepower, but at least your engine will be in tact. I'm not sure what gains are available with SCT tuners.
I agree with him except i think any mod u do to the car is going to adversly affect its life somewhat. Supercharging is gonna have the biggest effect on a stock motor then u have nitrous but its not as bad since its not used all the time, and when its used safe. Even N/A mods like cams, intakes, stuff liek that is going to effect the engine but not to the extinct as a supercharger. THis is a stock engine i speak of, if u rebuild the whole engine with forged internals and what not then its lifespan is gonna be alot better. As far as the auto, jmod it and add a tranny cooler, thee will cut the heat temps down on the tranny which leads to a longer life not to mention the jmod makes teh car feel much better then the stock slow soggy shifting it doess.

·
Registered
604 Posts
mbhmustang1998 said:
I agree with him except i think any mod u do to the car is going to adversly affect its life somewhat. Supercharging is gonna have the biggest effect on a stock motor then u have nitrous but its not as bad since its not used all the time, and when its used safe. Even N/A mods like cams, intakes, stuff liek that is going to effect the engine but not to the extinct as a supercharger. THis is a stock engine i speak of, if u rebuild the whole engine with forged internals and what not then its lifespan is gonna be alot better. As far as the auto, jmod it and add a tranny cooler, thee will cut the heat temps down on the tranny which leads to a longer life not to mention the jmod makes teh car feel much better then the stock slow soggy shifting it doess.
I agree with that totally. ANY mod will affect the motor, whether it be cams or a supercharger. Like you said, Turbo's/ superchargers put more pressure on an engine compared to nitrous because nitrous is used sparingly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
mustangman01 said:
Kind of a stupid question,but because of a few buddies of mine,I didn't put one on a few months back,they told me to sick with the chip. I think the vortech one I was lookin at was like 500rwhp or something. Maybe they were talkin about 500HP would blow my trans, or maybe a supercharger would do it(a good one anyway).If anyone has an Automatic with a S.C.,give me your experience!,and anyone else please give me some knowledge.
I put a kennebell, on my car (04Gt convert) at 800miles, It now has 8000miles, and zero problems, ever!

·
Registered
604 Posts
mbrown3696 said:
I put a kennebell, on my car (04Gt convert) at 800miles, It now has 8000miles, and zero problems, ever!
That's nice. The fact is, modding your car in ANY way will affect your car's lifespan SOMEWHAT. Whether it be an intake or a supercharger. S/C's just put the most stress on engines compared to nitrous and other N/A mods. Period.

I'm not saying that your car isn't reliable, I'm just stating facts :)

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I agree anything that you do to a car will affect the life of the car eventrually, why do we do it..... because its fun.

·
Registered
573 Posts
mustangman01 said:

Geeze...No a Sc won't ruin your Auto tranny. No it will not "slowly Destroy your engine".
The only thing that can hurt your engine and tranny is nitros....if set up "wrong"!

Do the Scharger, get the tranny shift kit, pan and Some lucas tranny oil..........You can run up to 8 lbs of boost safely on a stock motor...especially a 2000+ model with the PI heads and intake......
I have done it.......Manual tranny though........

I was makin 450 hp on a stock T45 tranny......never had any problems.....would have been the same with an auto.....

·
Registered
490 Posts
mbrown3696 said:
Yeah I have a Kenne SC on my Auto GT as well.... the only issue I have is my tire tread keeps disappearing??:kooky:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.