Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a T-5 from a 94 work in my 86. The 94 is a 3.8l, is there any other parts I can use. If I do the body over this summer on the 94 will my 5.0 out of the 86 fit in the 94 & what would I do for a harness?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am wondering the same thing. I have a 2003 V6 and am wanting to know the differences as well as the gear ratios that are currently in my car.

·
Registered
420 Posts
changing the bellhousing will work and is much easier. yes it will push the whole thing back but only less than 14mm so its not a big deal there will be no problems.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Input shaft length for an 86 5.0 is 7.18". The length for a 94 3.8 is 7.85".The difference is 0.67" that's nearly 11/16".In my opinion that's a pretty big move.The diameter is the same though.Make sure your shifter will still move freely and your cross member location is still o.k.Just put your trans in fourth or revers and measure from the closest point of the shifter to the shifter hole and make sure you still have 11/16" left.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Are the t-5 for a 94 any stronger?
I forgot to answer this in my last reply.1994-97 t-5 trans torque rating is the exact same for a 86 5.0 trans.265 lb/ft.In fact the only difference is the input shaft length and the o/d gear.You will loose a bit of speed on the highway but all other gears are the same.The 1986 5th gear is 0.68. And the 94-97's are 0.73 (3.8 only).Your speedo drive gear also changes to an 8 tooth.Your stock 86 t-5 is a 7 tooth.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cant belive Ford would put a tranny in there rated at 265 whe the car has around 300 stock!

I forgot to answer this in my last reply.1994-97 t-5 trans torque rating is the exact same for a 86 5.0 trans.265 lb/ft.In fact the only difference is the input shaft length and the o/d gear.You will loose a bit of speed on the highway but all other gears are the same.The 1986 5th gear is 0.68. And the 94-97's are 0.73 (3.8 only).Your speedo drive gear also changes to an 8 tooth.Your stock 86 t-5 is a 7 tooth.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yea I agree.My stock trans is rated at 300lb/ft and that broke.I am now using one from an 89lx 2.3L rated at 240 lb/ft I can't break it!?? I have done things to this trans that should just destroy it.Huge shock loads but it still keeps shifting.:bigthumbsup The gear ratio's suck though.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is that a manual or auto tranny? Do u know if an auto out of a 2.3 will fit? have a good deal lined up for one with a great body but wasn't sure if I should get.

Yea I agree.My stock trans is rated at 300lb/ft and that broke.I am now using one from an 89lx 2.3L rated at 240 lb/ft I can't break it!?? I have done things to this trans that should just destroy it.Huge shock loads but it still keeps shifting.:bigthumbsup The gear ratio's suck though.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Mine is a manual.I have no clue if the auto's interchange or not.I think the bell housing would be different.And probably tail shaft length too.But like I said I really don't know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.