Ford Mustang Forum banner

Will a T-5 from a 94 work in my 86

966 Views 15 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  dreger
Will a T-5 from a 94 work in my 86. The 94 is a 3.8l, is there any other parts I can use. If I do the body over this summer on the 94 will my 5.0 out of the 86 fit in the 94 & what would I do for a harness?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
the 94 and up t-5 has a longer input shaft. you can change that and it'll work. :bigthumbsup
if change the bellhousing would that work?

the 94 and up t-5 has a longer input shaft. you can change that and it'll work. :bigthumbsup
yes, but it will push the whole tranmission back.
Are the t-5 for a 94 any stronger?
if change the bellhousing would that work?
I am wondering the same thing. I have a 2003 V6 and am wanting to know the differences as well as the gear ratios that are currently in my car.
Do u know how hard it is to change the input shaft?

yes, but it will push the whole tranmission back.
changing the bellhousing will work and is much easier. yes it will push the whole thing back but only less than 14mm so its not a big deal there will be no problems.
Thank ya, if a guy did change the shaft how hard would it be?

changing the bellhousing will work and is much easier. yes it will push the whole thing back but only less than 14mm so its not a big deal there will be no problems.
Input shaft length for an 86 5.0 is 7.18". The length for a 94 3.8 is 7.85".The difference is 0.67" that's nearly 11/16".In my opinion that's a pretty big move.The diameter is the same though.Make sure your shifter will still move freely and your cross member location is still o.k.Just put your trans in fourth or revers and measure from the closest point of the shifter to the shifter hole and make sure you still have 11/16" left.
there ya go.....:bigthumbsup
I forgot to answer this in my last reply.1994-97 t-5 trans torque rating is the exact same for a 86 5.0 trans.265 lb/ft.In fact the only difference is the input shaft length and the o/d gear.You will loose a bit of speed on the highway but all other gears are the same.The 1986 5th gear is 0.68. And the 94-97's are 0.73 (3.8 only).Your speedo drive gear also changes to an 8 tooth.Your stock 86 t-5 is a 7 tooth.
Are the t-5 for a 94 any stronger?
Cant belive Ford would put a tranny in there rated at 265 whe the car has around 300 stock!

I forgot to answer this in my last reply.1994-97 t-5 trans torque rating is the exact same for a 86 5.0 trans.265 lb/ft.In fact the only difference is the input shaft length and the o/d gear.You will loose a bit of speed on the highway but all other gears are the same.The 1986 5th gear is 0.68. And the 94-97's are 0.73 (3.8 only).Your speedo drive gear also changes to an 8 tooth.Your stock 86 t-5 is a 7 tooth.
Yea I agree.My stock trans is rated at 300lb/ft and that broke.I am now using one from an 89lx 2.3L rated at 240 lb/ft I can't break it!?? I have done things to this trans that should just destroy it.Huge shock loads but it still keeps shifting.:bigthumbsup The gear ratio's suck though.
Is that a manual or auto tranny? Do u know if an auto out of a 2.3 will fit? have a good deal lined up for one with a great body but wasn't sure if I should get.

Yea I agree.My stock trans is rated at 300lb/ft and that broke.I am now using one from an 89lx 2.3L rated at 240 lb/ft I can't break it!?? I have done things to this trans that should just destroy it.Huge shock loads but it still keeps shifting.:bigthumbsup The gear ratio's suck though.
Mine is a manual.I have no clue if the auto's interchange or not.I think the bell housing would be different.And probably tail shaft length too.But like I said I really don't know.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.