Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car (93 2.3) will not go over 20mph. it just bacfires through the intake and barely wants to move. when sitting still in my driveway it idels fine and i can rev the engine up all i want and it sounds fine. but as soon as i put it in gear and hit the gas it dosnt want to go. will an o2 sensor cause this? is there any way to eliminate the o2? if not what else could it be. i checked plugs and wires, i just them changed 6 months ago and they seem to be fine.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Not the O2, I'm sure! :)

Sounds to me as if the timing belt has 'slipped.' :sosad:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well how do i fix it? my car dsnt have a distributer, it has coil packs.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
disconnect your battery and locate the timing assembly. Once located take off the cover and check and see if the marks are lining up like a Haynes or Chilton manual states they should be, roughly 10Degrees before TDC. Easy fix though if they are screwed up. Tke out the #1 spark plug and insert a small rod into the cylinder, rotate the crank shaft until the rod goes all the way up, then starts to go back down slightly, then rotate it the opposite way to bring the rod up to TDC(top dead center). Tim to set your cam, The closest lobe on the cam should be pointing to the 2 o'clock position and the second one at 12 o'clock, or the forst on facing right and the second facing up. Now your cam is set. Line up the marks on the the pulleys and re-attach everything. reconnect the battery and you should be set except for some tweaking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.