Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to suspect that the ticking noise coming from the engine compartment is related to the lash adjustment TSB. I've switched tunes, tightened up the header bolts, changed gasoline, put in a bottle of FI cleaner and plan on swapping all the fuel injectors from the right side to the left and vice versa. If the sound moves, I'll assume that it's the fuel injectors and go from there. If not, I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer, but will they honor the TSB with all the stuff I've done to the car? I've done nothing to the valvetrain, but we all know how these guys are about mods; anything you do has caused this problem so they don't have to fix it.

I've also read about guys having cracked cylinder heads as well. I'll probably bang my head against a wall if this is the case. Has anyone else had this horrible problem?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
When I had engine ticking issues (which ended up just being 4 loose plugs), my dealer took one look at my car and laughed. I don't have a lot of confidence that you'll be successful but I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My local dealership was pretty cool with my mods. I was there on an unrelated issue when it started overheating/leaking coolant in front of their service doors. The service manager told me to drive it in. I informed him about the Turbo and my concern for the warranty or in my opinion the lack there of. After a short discussion I asked if he could give me an honest assessment of the problem. We came to the understanding that if it was caused by the Turbo or any modifications that I would pick up the car and fix it myself. If he could cover it under warranty he would. In all he was pretty cool about. The overflow reservoir was replaced under warranty. Another leak was found on the aftermarket thermostat housing which I fixed later.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I had engine ticking issues (which ended up just being 4 loose plugs), my dealer took one look at my car and laughed. I don't have a lot of confidence that you'll be successful but I hope I'm wrong.
You think I should take a look at the plugs? Also, could one of them be failing?

·
Registered
38 Posts
warranty work

i was a service tech @ a local ford dealership, and this dealership wouldnt warranty anything on the motor. i had a guy come in with a ticking noise on his '02 gt and he had just a cold air setup on it and they wouldnt warranty it. what weight oil do you use? that could be a reason that it sounds like it is ticking.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to add, I don't even know if I even still have a warranty. I bought the car used from someone. I know warranty transfer policies vary from place to place, so does anyone in CA know if that applies out here?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was a service tech @ a local ford dealership, and this dealership wouldnt warranty anything on the motor. i had a guy come in with a ticking noise on his '02 gt and he had just a cold air setup on it and they wouldnt warranty it. what weight oil do you use? that could be a reason that it sounds like it is ticking.
I'm using Mobil 1 5w20. I haven't changed the oil in a while (~2 months). I like to keep it changed about every 3 months or so since I mostly drive the car to and from work and don't go too many places. I'd say about 130 mi/wk, 150 if I'm adventurous on the weekend.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just to add, I don't even know if I even still have a warranty. I bought the car used from someone. I know warranty transfer policies vary from place to place, so does anyone in CA know if that applies out here?
I bought mine used as well. The warranty did not come into question. I didn't need to do anything for the transfer. While I was there for the leak they updated the owner information. I doubt the warranty would vary from state to state.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
May be worth pulling and inspecting. Reinstall to 26 lb-ft. Don't use more than 35 lb-ft to loosen.
That makes for an optimistic weekend. I'll definitely be trying this, the FI swap and changing the oil.

What does a bad/failing plug look like? I've never removed them. Dad told me he got popped once and I've been afraid of them ever since. :happyhapp

·
Registered
38 Posts
ok thats good....dont use any other weight oil because you will run a chance of spinning the bearings...bearing clearances are so tight in the modular motors that anything other than what the factory recommends will cause the bearings to spin. i replaced a few motors due to the customer using a different weight oil.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
ok thats good....dont use any other weight oil because you will run a chance of spinning the bearings...bearing clearances are so tight in the modular motors that anything other than what the factory recommends will cause the bearings to spin. i replaced a few motors due to the customer using a different weight oil.
That's good to know... We have a few folks running a 0-20 Amsoil. Is that a problem?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
That makes for an optimistic weekend. I'll definitely be trying this, the FI swap and changing the oil.

What does a bad/failing plug look like? I've never removed them. Dad told me he got popped once and I've been afraid of them ever since. :happyhapp
Look for signs of fuel/oil fouling, excessive carbon, cracked/missing insulators, burned tips.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Sorry, gotta call B.S. on this one. Putting 5w30, or even 10w40 in your engine will not cause a bearing problem. You might have issues related to the VVT with a different weight oil, but it won't affect the bearings.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Sorry, gotta call B.S. on this one. Putting 5w30, or even 10w40 in your engine will not cause a bearing problem. You might have issues related to the VVT with a different weight oil, but it won't affect the bearings.
So what's the real answer then? :scratchchin

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
A spun bearing is caused by a lack of lubrication, period. There are several factors that can contribute to a lack of lubrication. Not enough oil pressure, contamination from dirt, excessive fuel dilution, or other foreign liquids, or out of spec housing bores. A heavier weight oil can cost you some power, but won't cause bearing failure.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
My brain is hurting from this one. I guess just for simplicity sake I'll stick with the OEM-recommended weight. :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Porterx....that dealership is lucky the guy didn't sue because not honoring the warranty is against the law unless they can prove that the failure was caused by the additional parts that were added.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Porterx....that dealership is lucky the guy didn't sue because not honoring the warranty is against the law unless they can prove that the failure was caused by the additional parts that were added.
Problem is Fuzzy that the avg Joe doesn't have the time or resources to go against Ford. And Ford has all the time and lawyers that it needs at its disposal. While you may win, it may not be worth it in fees, lost wages, etc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.