Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

1989 5.0L notchback manual mostly stock
shorty headers, off road h-pipe, dynomax exhaust
Car always runs well, no codes, no driveability problems
new ford o2 sensors

It smells. Heavy exaust smell. It smells only a little from the inside cabin, but it smells a lot standing at the rear in idle, and it smells a lot when a buddy is following my car from behind. It does not burn oil or anything like that. Fuel comsumption is 20L/100km in city and traffic, no HWY. I assume this is about normal. It has always been like this for years.

I am a bit tired of the comments "your car stinks". You are polluting.

If I get a set of high flow cats, without spending too much money, should I expect to calm down the smell?

Thanks for your advice.
Greg Mustang
Montreal
Canada

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I just went through this when I tried a BBK off-road H. The BBK fit was so bad and the smell was too, so I put the stock Ford catted H back on and dumped my flows. No more stink and the 2K drone of the flows is gone. I'm happy.....

·
Registered
575 Posts
i have hi flows and no smell. best way to go

·
Registered
525 Posts
This is what I've wanted to hear for a while...I've been trying to find a fix for the smell for a while now. It seems every time I bring this question up the first thing people say is "you know you'll lose power right?" I DON'T CARE I would rather give up a few hp for a car that doesn't stink like $. lol.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I have magnaflow 2 and a half inch hi flo cats and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I switch my Magnaflow hi flo cat pipe with my off road x pipe from time to time and there is always a smell with no cats. When I put the cats back on, no more smell.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Are any of you guys running the cats with no smog pump? I've heard conflicting info on if it will damage the cats after time. I'm thinking of picking up a couple high flows and welding them in but my smog pump is long gone.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Are any of you guys running the cats with no smog pump? I've heard conflicting info on if it will damage the cats after time. I'm thinking of picking up a couple high flows and welding them in but my smog pump is long gone.
I would like to know the same thing. I get tired of smelling like exhaust everytime I drive my car. I took all of the smog equipment off my car years ago and have no desire to track down all the parts to reinstall it all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would like to know the same thing. I get tired of smelling like exhaust everytime I drive my car. I took all of the smog equipment off my car years ago and have no desire to track down all the parts to reinstall it all.
+1

My car also has all the smog equipment deleted and I'm running (probably from factory) cats with stock h-pipe and flowmasters. Sounds mean, but can get smelly at times. I'm also running lean though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts