Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I was to repaint the car a different color, would that hurt the value of it? Its white now and was thinking a dark metallic gray/charcoal/silvery color.

·
0 Posts
I would think it all depends on who is in the market for the car. I think that a new paint job, especially one other than 10 year old white would help the resale value because from the looks of it your cars have some years under their belt. If the new paint job is done right, then it would be more than likely a welcomed change. Of course, there are those people who look for numbers matching OEM parts/ paint, etc., but most people are just in the market for a nice looking vehicle.
Anyway, it's your car and if you don't plan on selling it anytime soon, then you should just do what you want and make it your own.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
704 Posts
if you where to get the cars, body, engine bay, door jams, and trunk all painted that same color too, it would not hurt the value.

but, if it is possible to tell you switched colors it could hurt the value, but i believe having a fresh coat of paint would outway the negatives of switching colors!

so i say go for it!!!

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Yes and no... Let's see if I can explain this....

Yes- If you paint it a different color then it won't be a "numbers matching" car. Therefore it will DEvalue the car.

No- If it's done the right way (EXPENSIVE!) then someone might pay more for it since it has "new" paint. FOX bodies aren't a collectors car anyways so the "numbers matching" thing really won't make MUCH of a difference.

Let's take an old '34 Ford for example... :D
Some people will pay more if it is completely original. While the "hot rod" crowd will pay the same amount (sometimes more, sometimes less) if it's bright orange with a 350 in it.

I hope that makes sense.

I love the look of an all white FOX but if you want to dish out all the money to change the paint the right way go right ahead. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like your question. I had a similar thread about replacing the GT peices with a Cobra or Saleen kit. The general consensus was that our Fox bodies really aren't collector items yet so have fun with it and make it your own.

On the issue of our cars current value, I have to say that right now they are only worth so much. Look it up on Kelly Blue Book, or NADA. If your current car is worth $3,000, (deduct from that figure for anything that needs work, for example; $3,000 minus $500 +/- for a torn up interior, and subtract another $500 for used up tires - That leaves you with a $2,000 car.) then you throw a $1,500 paint job on there, that doesn't mean your car is now worth $3,500.

Having said all that, silvers and greys look great on a Fox!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that all made sense. Thanks guys. yeah if I do decide to do it, I'll definately do it right *engine bar, door jams, etc.*

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
When the days of wanting a Fox to be 100% stock, that's when you'd want it to be the original color. You still have a while before that day comes, so do what you want.

·
Registered
547 Posts
yes but fox's will eventually be a collector car a 69' camaro wasnt a collector car in 75

·
Registered
680 Posts
Document the paint job. Photos and receipts. Have proof that you are not trying to hide something.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Yeah but a 69' camaro was more of a collectors car in 1989 than a 89' mustang in 2009.

M

·
0 Posts
Smoked i think your fox is fine as is.. i dont think it needs to be painted.. its a very clean car as is.. you could spend that money on other parts for it.. :yup:

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Double post... my bad......

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
yes but fox's will eventually be a collector car a 69' camaro wasnt a collector car in 75
Mmmmaybeeee........ :scratchchin
I have a feeling that the only "collectors" FOX bodies will be some special editions like the 7-up, Cobra, Saleen. And the only way I see them bringing in much money is if they are completely original and low miles.
Just look at how hard it is to find a 5.0 that is COMPLETELY original now. That will be where the money is.... :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
I think we can all agree 1969 was a much more prevalant year for muscle cars (collectors) than all the emissioned up fox's (just a different era), maybe in 40 years (2025-35) if they start dying off the roads the 82-93 will be more collectible. But so many have been molested, it will be only the orginal surviors that will be worth anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts