Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to convert my 4.0 to dual exhaust. I realize both pipes are mandrel bent and wondered if there is any reason why I could not use the stock GT tailpipe connected with a balance tube or H pipe to form the driver side exhaust? Has anyone done this or have knowledge if this could work. I would have the muffler shop do the install. I'll be using axlebacks, so that part is covered.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
rgensemer said:
I am planning to convert my 4.0 to dual exhaust. I realize both pipes are mandrel bent and wondered if there is any reason why I could not use the stock GT tailpipe connected with a balance tube or H pipe to form the driver side exhaust? Has anyone done this or have knowledge if this could work. I would have the muffler shop do the install. I'll be using axlebacks, so that part is covered.
oh, no!!! Ron, your converting to dual exhaust???? Man, I'm going to be the last hold out to be running a single! LOL!

Yes the stock GT pipe (i believe it's technically called the "mid-pipe") will work just fine. Pick that up and a generic 2.5 inch Magnaflow X-pipe and you should be golden.. the pipe back from the cat on our cars is 2.25 but the shop can just weld the 2.5 inch x-pipe on.. then attach the mid-pipes...

To be honest I've been thinking really hard about doing this mod myself for the last week or so.... I want a little more sound! LOL!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah John, I decided to do it. I gathering the parts piecemeal as I can and I thought, why buy an overpriced "kit" when a little bit of ingenuity might work? But you're right I held out as long as I could....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
rgensemer said:
Yeah John, I decided to do it. I gathering the parts piecemeal as I can and I thought, why buy an overpriced "kit" when a little bit of ingenuity might work? But you're right I held out as long as I could....
yep, kind of thinking along those same lines... pick up the left Magnaflow, GT pipe and an x-pipe...

looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ho Ho ho..There is a company that buys the gt takeoffs..like from Saleen etc. like $550.00 delivered for the whole kit..hangers and all. I'll ge the link if anyone is interested..v6mustangstuff.com

·
Registered
74 Posts
I purchased a set of GT takeoff mufflers on E-bay, then went to a dealer and bought the left GT mid pipe (which matches the right V6 mid pipe), and the two left muffler hangars. I took all the parts to a muffler shop and had them install it for $200. They cut out th "Y" pipe and bent two short stainless pipes to join the pipes behind the cat converters to the left and right mid pipes.

Originally I had no "H" pipe. There was no side to side connection, just individual duals. It sounded really really nice. I had NO Drone on the highway and was not too loud, but was just loud enough.

Later I had an "H" pipe installed. BIG MISTAKE. It took away the nice sound it had. It made it much quieter and not as powerful sounding.

The duals had no impact on performance either way. I did it mostly for the look and sound.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Help

Someone please anyone answer this, I am following Rolly's method above minus the H-Pipe. How many clamps and Hangers do I need and what sizes? I buy left JBA muffler and left GT midpipe already.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Someone please anyone answer this, I am following Rolly's method above minus the H-Pipe. How many clamps and Hangers do I need and what sizes? I buy left JBA muffler and left GT midpipe already.
wow, thats a old post. i dont know about that statement, i have a h pipe and it sounds plenty powerful. even with gt takeoffs, it turns heads if i stomp on it a little.

lots of guys have seperate pipes too. you`ll need 2 muffler hangers for the driv side, might be best to have it put on at a muffler shop. hard to say how many clamps or what size you will need. one for every pipe connection you will have depending on your parts.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
05-09 can still buy the duals kit from newtakeoff.com I got mine there (before they sold out) but for anyone with a 2010 you are out of luck because Our mufflers are longer the 05-09 but the rest of the kit is the same. $299+ shipping.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Go to rockauto.com and follow all of the drop menus and choose v6 after you open the mustang drop down. After you open the v6 menu open the pipe menu and you will find x-pipes and mid-pipes. There are clamps and anything else you may need. It is all Walker and is available in ss or stle.

I haven't seen lower prices anywhere else.

·
Registered
473 Posts
05-09 can still buy the duals kit from newtakeoff.com I got mine there (before they sold out) but for anyone with a 2010 you are out of luck because Our mufflers are longer the 05-09 but the rest of the kit is the same. $299+ shipping.
to add to your statement about NewTakeoff.com you can buy the pypes alone (not including GT takeoffs) if you have other mufflers in mind for $269.00 + shipping. You have to contact them to do this sale. I was going this route but it cost about the same to buy these and have them installed as it does to just have the pipes fabricated at a muffler shop so it wasn't worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
The GT drivers side pipe will fit fine. All of the piping on the 05 on is 2.5" pipe. I got mine from RockAuto for under $50. I chose to go with an h pipe but you can go straight back of you want

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
To have a shop do the work is fine and may in some cases be cheaper. As long as they use the mandrel bend and not a crush bend! Crush is bad!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts