Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering my friend has a 88 2.3 and he wants to to put a 5.0 in it will it bolt on to the tranny?

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Yes, but the 2.3 tranny is pretty weak for a 5.0, would be better if he gets an appropiate transmission.

·
Registered
69 Posts
GTRaptor said:
Yes, but the 2.3 tranny is pretty weak for a 5.0, would be better if he gets an appropiate transmission.
Not to sound like an A***HOLE but... Gt Raptor.... Have you ever actually bolted the 2.3L Tranny Directly to a 5.0L or have you just used the gear boxes?

Through Experince I have found Several Differences with 3 Different T5 Trannies that I have used in Swaps before...

Unless you know Exactly what you are doing to do the conversion.... it not worth the hassle...

First off, the bellhousings are totally different... Second thing, the input shafts and bearing retainers are totally different and cannot be swapped out.

The V6 Tranny is the same but.... only Fox Chassis Cars, the SN95 T5 Tranny needs the bearing retainer and input shaft as well as the bellhousing from a Fox 5.0L T5 or Fox V6 T5.

Believe me, you can probably get a T5 for a 5.0L from the wrecker for cheaper than it costs for the extra parts you need to make an SN95 V6 or V8 T5 work, and a 4 Cylinder tanny can be used with a modified pilot bearing and the use of the 5.0L bell housing and flywheel. but beware the 2.3L T5 IS not too weak but it will give way if you beat on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.