Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I had just installed the Vortech V2 SQ on my 91 GT ( 8-10 lbs of boost ) and found a weak link. My head gasket or intake gasket has lost its seal. Now.. I figure since I am going to be removing the heads or at least intake anyway why not upgrade the heads and intake, injectors. MAF ....
So I picked up the TFS top end kit from Summit http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS%2DK514%2D360350B&autoview=sku . My question is with the lower end handle this combo? I am going to use my current cam B-303 I personally like it ( I know I will be curcified by some for that ) . Move up to 42lbs injectors and 255 pump and appropriate MAF. Oh yeah and my V2 SQ. I called some well known shops in NJ and they seem to think this will be a good combo. But local shop ( actually a friends shop ) standard repair shop... that normally I use, and was planning non bringing this to do is convinced that the stock lower end will def blow.. anyone have any success or horror stories with a similar combo? Got my parts but now I am a little nervous that I may have made a mistake...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
With 8-10 psi the bottom end should hang in there if its in good condition and you have a good tune. Just use good quality gaskets that will handle boost. Good luck with it..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good gaskets and ARP hardware. There are plenty of people running top end kits with blowers on stock blocks. Some blow some last a long time. You are playing with fire when you start going above 450rwhp but it all depends on how you drive, the car's intended purpose, and the revs. Get a good conservative tune and keep the revs down and it could last a very long time. It's the block itself that is the weak point and not necessarily the internals. Blocks have been know to split on stock power so keep that in mind as well. Good luck!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, I have about 60k on the engine. I would say most of them hard runs.. I normally spin the motor to about 6K..( before the SC ) I am using the gaskets that came with the kit, and also the hardware. Kit claims that the gaskets are Fel-pro, and ARP hardware. I am not sure if they are the top of the line stuff that comes with the kit or not. ( I hope so ). I am not sure where that combo will put me on the HP range. once done I will take it to get a good ( conservative tune ) I just dropped more money than I expected, since I was planning only to do the SC this year. So I dont want to blow this sucker up.. I am starting to think i should have just gotten a crate motor for the money.. Wish me luck..
Does anyone know of a good place to get a tune? I was thinking Outragous Mustangs in Jackson NJ.. I live in Montville NJ.. not sure what is good and in my area..

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It looks like you should be good from what you describe. Maybe someone could chime in with some advice for a good shop in your area. Good luck again...

·
Registered
18 Posts
just to put in my 2 cents, i have a buddy that is spinning 14 psi through a vortech, with tfs intake, and ported tfs heads, conservatively tuned by Anderson Ford motorsports in IL, and he is making 520hp at the wheels on a stock bottom end, well actually the stock bottom end lasted 40k w/ that setup, but cracked a piston when he hit the revlimiter in 5th gear, and Andersons said that was just due to a weak fuel system, its still pretty much stock bottom end tho, he just went w/ lower comp pistons, becuz of so much boost, and went .030 over, but other than that its still stock bottom

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Not a flame, but that cam (B) is just going to blow boost right out of the exhaust. Too much overlap. You want a smaller LC

·
Registered
826 Posts
My buddy has a stock ford 5.0 lower end...all he did was changed the bolts to arp bolts and put performance gaskets on it....he has 596hp on the stock block!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have taken the advice about trying the diffrent cam.. I am using the one from the kit. ( TFS stage 1) I am sure that there are better, but that one is made for the kit and should work pretty well with the supercharger.
Heads are off the car pulling the cam out today. :)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.