Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a v6 Mustang with the Bamachips race tune, C & L CAI and FRPP dual catback exhaust--otherwise, stock. Would swapping-out the rear end for a Ford OEM takeoff 7.5/3.73 rear void the warranty (or is the answer an obvious YES?)? I'd love to have both rear wheels turning all the time...

Does the swap make more sense than just changing gears and adding the T-lok and new bearing kit?

BTW, my car has 50,000 miles (100,000 mile warranty).

Also, any ballpark ideas of how much installing would cost?

I'd welcome your opinions...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
If you have Ford install the new rear end, then it will not void the warrenty. Otherwise, anything you put on yourself will void the warrenty if Ford can show a way that part caused to the part in question. And replacing the rear end all depends on your goals for the car and your ability to install. The rear end is fairly simple to install, so if you do the install yourself, its going to cost around the same as the putting just the gears and tlok in. Also, if you want a lot of power, you might want to spend a little extra and get the rear end for safety concerns.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
If your swapping oem for oem and it takes a crap, you might get away with warranty work. If you went to after market and so on, they could tell you no.
Most prices range from 200-500 bucks. I've had gear swaps done about 10+ times on my stangs and the highest i paid was like $227 bucks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you have Ford install the new rear end, then it will not void the warrenty...
Actually that's not the case, I checked into having the dealership do mine before going with a custom shop & they advised that it would void the powertrain warranty (at least the diff. portion of the powertrain).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're right...that's a take-off 8.8 differential/3.73 gears. V6 Mustangstuff.com carries them. Sorry for the confusion. :embarrassed

Thanks everyone for the input.

I'm still wondering which would be the better way to go--take-off GT rear or just adding to the existing v6 rear...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
depends on your goal, if your going F/I in future 8.8 is a good investment but if your stating stock like me 7.5 with gears/tlock Is good enough but you must find the best mechanic that did gears for years, not every mechanic can change gears and give your car whine/trouble free back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Venom800tt for the advice. I will check into this when the time (I mean money) comes to do this...:bigthumbsup

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
You're right...that's a take-off 8.8 differential/3.73 gears. V6 Mustangstuff.com carries them. Sorry for the confusion. :embarrassed

Thanks everyone for the input.

I'm still wondering which would be the better way to go--take-off GT rear or just adding to the existing v6 rear...
The cost isn't going to be much different and with the 8.8 you'll have a much beefier setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.