Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1968 mustang coupe.It has the 302 in it. it stated this morning but as i was letting it warm up it quit like i flooded it. Now it will not start.
I dont know if it is the starter because it will not turn over the more i crank the less it cranks like the battery is going dead or something. i was wondering what could be causing it.

G

·
Unlikely the starter, it wouldn't make it die like that. First of all, I would check the obvious thing(battery, choke, etc.). To see if your battery is good, take it down to your local auto parts store(Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, Kragen, NAPA, etc.). They should be able to test it for you. Also, check for fuel. Pull the fuel line off of the carb, hook up a little rubber hose or something to dump the gas into a bucket of some sort, and turn the key. If no gas comes out, you've got a clog somewhere.

You were pretty vague on details, but I'd start with electrical problems like your battery.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.Welcome.:)If the car started and ran for a while and died and now refuses to start again, that is almost certainly a fuel delivery problem.The battery is getting weak from all of that cranking.The first thing that I would check would be to see if the car actually has any gas in it.You say that you just got this car.Do you know if it just sat for a long time before the previous owner decided to sell it?If yes,does the gas smell real funny?What brand of carburetor does it have?Autolite? Holley? Edelbrock?Doe the car have an inline fuel filter?If yes, replace it.If no,you might have to go through the carb and clean it out.The procedure would depend on the brand.Good luck,and again,welcome.:)

G

·
Oh, I missed that essential point, I didn't realize you JUST bought the car(I thought you had owned this for a while and knew that it ran well). Yeah, I'd definitely check that fuel filter. What I did with mine when it got clogged, was remove the fuel filter, stick an air nozzle to one end of the filter and hold the filter into a paper towel or somethin white. Then give it a blow. When I blew mine out, there was all kinds of rust and nasty stuff in it because the tank and fuel lines were obviously very old and have pretty much served their purpose to its extent, thus, needed replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.