Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 gt and i am soon going to be putting on all the mods in my signature. i was just wondering if this will cause the o2 sensors to send a bad signal to the computer causing the check engine light to come on. and if it wont, will i ever even have to worry about this problem since it is not OBDII?? or is this strictly a problem for OBDII cars?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
You'll be allright. The '96 and laters have two O2 sensors per cylinder bank, and will alert to removed cats
Just make sure your MAF is calibrated for the 24# injectors.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i have the right MAF for the injectors but what is the point of the o2 sensors if they basically dont do anything

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
jbspeed86 said:
yeah i have the right MAF for the injectors but what is the point of the o2 sensors if they basically dont do anything
They sniff out the Oxygen content of the exhaust for the processer, which then adjusts the amount of fuel being injected, accordingly. The rearward ones on '96 and ups, probably don't do much other than to moniter for emissions stuff. When your car runs in open loop, the O2s are amongst the most crucial sensors.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
When your car runs in open loop, the O2s are amongst the most crucial sensors.
not trying to call you out meangreen92, but closed loop is when the oxygen sensors are most crucial. During open loop operation (cold starts, and WOT) the oxygen sensor readings are disregarded by the pcm until operating temp is reached. (closed loop occurs) thats why cars idle high when they are cold, and run a little rough till they are warmed up, its the cold start program running.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i it is a must to have them on then. cuz i was looking at my headers i am going to put on and they have the coupler to screw the sensors into welded to the collector but it is not drilled through the pipe so i wanted to see if you could run without them, oh well ill get out the drill

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
lxarlo said:
not trying to call you out meangreen92, but closed loop is when the oxygen sensors are most crucial. During open loop operation (cold starts, and WOT) the oxygen sensor readings are disregarded by the pcm until operating temp is reached. (closed loop occurs) thats why cars idle high when they are cold, and run a little rough till they are warmed up, its the cold start program running.
Yeah, I always get that backwards, duh. I'd rather stand corrected, than be wrong. Thanks lxarlo.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
hey glad to know i can help. oh yea one more thing for you jbspeed86. if you are putting longtube headers on, you will need to get o2 sensor harness extensions because the longtube header mounting point is further down than on shorty headers, which is right after them on the H pipe

·
Registered
192 Posts
and if your gonna order the extensions...go ahead and get new sensors also....THe extensions just plug right in where the O2 sensors would...very easy..:sleeping:

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
But I still say: Make new O2s your last addition, In other words, make sure the car is running perfectly otherwise, before letting the new O2s whif your exhaust.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright, thanks a lot for the info guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.