Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

The main difference between the super cushy ride of the V6 and the thumpy ride of the GT is their sidewall height.

The OEM Porsche Cayenne tires have the same (or superior) specs as the 05/06 Stangs... except for their sidewall height: it is the same as on the V6. This would mean we wouldn't really lose much grip with respect to the stock Pirelli P Zeros, but would gain quite a lot in bump absorption.

However, will their 29" diameter clear the wheel wells (stock rim width)?

I'm even ready to get D-Strut shocks to adjust the dampening to avoid them bottoming out against the chassis. I think it is a worthwhile pursuit to make our Stangs into more civilized road racers. Mind you I'm not wanting to drag race mine, just plow through beat up dirt roads as if it were a Porsche Cayenne. :cool:

Thanks in advance for any clues as to whether they might fit!

The full tire specs are listed below:

Bridgestone Turanza ER30

Size 235/65R17
Service description 108V (1/4 of load in kilograms per tire)
XL Load range
Speed rating V <150mph <240kmh
Sidewall styling BW
Article number 149-957
Approved rim widths 6.5-8.5
Measuring rim width (7.0)
Overall tire diameter 29.1
Overall section width 9.8
Thread width 8.1
Static load radius 13.2
Thread depth (32") 11
716 rpm
Tire weight 35 lbs
UTQG 140 AA
OEM fitment for the Porsche Cayenne
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/dpp/sizespecs.asp?passproductid=1025

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well if you are going with a taller tire you are going to have a speedometer that is not reading true. you will be going faster than what the speedo shows.
But if that is ok than the next thing would be the amount of space for the tire when mounted if it will fit and not rub or limit your turning radius.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Fred,

I've gotten the SCT Xcalibrator Racing Pro setup which gives access to all the car's computer settings, so there will be no problem fixing the speedometer reading (69mph real but 65mph readout) for an extra 2" of tire size.

While Zaino-ing the Vert I noticed that the wheel wells have already been thinned at the edges by the factory, they know some of us will be putting on wider rims. Maybe that is also why they made our Stangs sit up so high that everyone is lowering them? Official word has it that it is to clear snow chains. I'll only be using the convertible in the summer months, so I don't mind using up that extra snow chain space to fit much more comfortable tires. With comfort added the GT will at last offer killer true sports car performance, rather than its current "slick wearing" dragstrip shakes.

Does anyone know how much clearance is usually allowed for chains dangling off of one's wheels?

Thanks for your opinions. :dunce:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now if only they'd fit

I found that these sizes are to be found from a number of manufacturers. Sort of teasing me, the idea of their Scorpion ultra high performance tires which also claim great comfort on top of ultimate performance:

Pirelli Scorpion Zero
Size 235/65R17TL
Service description 104VM + S (1/4 of load in kilograms per tire)
Max Load 1984 lbs
Speed rating V <150mph <240kmh
Sidewall styling BW
Approved rim widths 6.5-8.5
Measuring rim width (7.0)
Overall tire diameter 28.9
Overall section width 9.6
PSI 51
Thread depth (32") 10
719 revolutions per mile

http://www.us.pirelli.com/en_US/tyres/catalog/tyre_product.jhtml?selected=size&catid=US_SUVHP&productid=2643

1 - 4 of 4 Posts