Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI i purchased some 11.75" wilwood disk brakes for the front of my 66 coupe 289. I read that they fit 15" wheels but after install on one i noticed my stock wheels do not fit due to a lip on the inside. I have heard other people with this problem and i have tried to research this but it seems to be frivolous. I have heard of 17" wheels as a good replacement as they are bigger than the 15" minimum and not as hard to find tires like the 16". Has anyone used these size rotors? if so what are you wheels specs?

·
Registered
876 Posts
The problem is the stock steel rims. You should be able to get away with a 15" aluminum wheel like a 15x7 torq thrust

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Keep the stock rims and use wheel spacers. They go on the rotor and make room for the calipers and rotors. They should clear the "lip". That's what I did with mine.
Don't spend loads on four new rims and tires.

http://www.motorcitybolton.com/

·
Registered
876 Posts
Absolutely do NOT use wheel spacers. They're prone to failure and just a terrible idea, if you can afford wildwood brakes and put them on a car that warrants them then just get new rims and tires. Trust me I ran spacers, installed extended lugs, torqued correctly, used locktite, one burnout an it sent the rear wheel flying. Bout the right wheels An tires an no issues

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
iv done plenty of burnouts with no problem. And I think they are even insured if they break but whatever.

·
Registered
876 Posts
iv done plenty of burnouts with no problem. And I think they are even insured if they break but whatever.
Any wheel spacer company skirts all liability by saying that they're for off road use only.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Er, can't find anything like that on the site I posted. And I personally would rather do that than buying all new rims and tires. Iv posted about them on a few threads and nobodys said anything.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Most do they just don't list it on their sites, I went through all this crap a while ago with them. Even the mustang suppliers that sell them say "for show use only" They aren't DOT approved so they can't warranty them for street use, technically it's for track or off road use only is how they're sold so if someone has an accident on the street because of it, they're skirted of liability. If you search anywhere on the Internet you'll read tons of stories about them breaking or coming off. Also spacing the wheels out increasing the lateral stress on the lugs significantly, the best way is to just pony up an get wheels that fit right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts