Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. So my side windows have been developing scratches over a period of time. I dont know whats causing them. Its not dirt on the weather stripping grinding them in so i think its the followers in the door panel. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it.
I probably have to get new windows and also forgot to mention i have tint on them to if that makes a difference, Thanks for the help

Attachments

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The same thing happened to my last GT with tinted windows, and I believe it was dried out, hardened stripping that was the culprit, but I never found out before the GT was totaled. As my new one also has tinted windows, I'd definitely like to find out about it.

·
Registered
9,986 Posts
Yeah it is the tint film that is getting scratched, not the window itself.

I have one or two of those too . . . not sure what caused it, I assume it was a little piece of sand or grit or something stuck in the window stripping.

Is the tint film guaranteed against scratching, discoloration, etc.? If so, maybe you could actually take advantage of that guarantee, and get the tint replaced. At the same time, try that anti-scratch stuff so it does not happen again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is because of the material of the plastic part between the door and the Windows. This part on 2005-07 is made with strong plastic. In 2008, the design has been changed and they replaced it with a softer plastic to avoid those scratches.

·
Registered
146 Posts
got my windows tinted, the problem happened almost immediately. Replaced the window holdings with the updated model and have not had any more issues. the updated ones have felt where as the originals were hard plastic

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got my windows tinted, the problem happened almost immediately. Replaced the window holdings with the updated model and have not had any more issues. the updated ones have felt where as the originals were hard plastic
Good to know, ill look up the prices for both and see what option to go with, but what a pita, now i have to get new tint

·
Registered
9,986 Posts
. . . . now i have to get new tint
I think it is worth at least a phone call to the tinter to see if it is covered by warranty -- I remember when I got mine tinted they listed off a whole bunch of things that were covered, don't remember if scratches was on the list but it seemed like they covered "everything that could go wrong" so it's worth a shot

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I installed the moleskins on my 05 right before tinting and haven't had any scratching at all. glad I did some reading and searching first. good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine are scratched on my 2007. I don't feel like paying to swap them out though

·
Registered
755 Posts
My '08 is scratched but mostly on the passenger side. Maybe when spring comes I'll look into it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts