Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone else has come across this. Winter of course required regular use of windshield fluid for cleaning the windows. Spring comes around and I start washing the car and it seems like there is a film on the paint near the washer nozzles and on the area of the window where the wiper blades don't catch. You can literally see an outline on the windows where the blades hit. I'm wondering if it's the amonia or something in the fluid. I tried a mild rubbing compound on a small area and it didn't seem to help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I rarely use my wipers/fluid and I've noticed a tiny bit of film around the nozzles too. I haven't been able to get it off. It has to be something in the windshield fluid. My car is black, so I can definitely see it and it bugs me a lot

·
Registered
297 Posts
a clay bar should take it off, will be a nit-picky job near the nozzles any way you do it. my first and safest choice.

a buffer with an orange pad may do the trick.

my other thought is bug/tar remover....or maybe "goo gone" available at any Walgreens.

we are all careful of the paint, these are just my opinions.

good luck

thank gawd it rains little here in sunny New Mexico!

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ive noticed it too. on the hood, i use polishing compound and a variable orbit buffer, then hand wax and the hood cleans up and stays nice. but the glass really bugs me. i can see that outline your talking about and i hate that. ive yet to get that cleaned off really good. i use hillyard industial glass cleaner, it works real good. when its dry i dont notice it much but when i spray the cleaner on, or water even it re appears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. Well, I picked up a clay bar so I'll have to give that a shot this weekend. Maybe some fine polishing cloths will work on the windshield. Drives me crazy, especially since the washer nozzles drip and you get those stupid runs. Might have to get the nozzle relocation kit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for this thread...I think I'll syphon out the factory fluid and refill with 20-10 brand...my old standby.

Just a thought...you might try a "Mr. Clean magic eraser" on the windshield.

·
Registered
297 Posts
i like the magic eraser idea for the windshield..

C.L.R and Limeaway liquids might help if used cautiously....they will break down the deposits

love my under-hood washer nozzles on my 2010!

·
Registered
169 Posts
While washing/detailing my wife's Ranger yesterday, I syphoned the factory fluid out of my car. Used a long length of aquarium airline tubing.

Refilled, using a gallon of 20-10. Had no idea the washer reservoir had such a large capacity.

Drag racers? Keep in mind this easy way to lose 8 pounds or so of weight that's located way up front. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried the magic eraser on the window. No luck. Still there. Wierd is that it almost has a bluing effect on the window, like when you fire a gun and the barrel starts to turn blue-ish after awhile, or like chrome exhausts on a motorcycle. Hope I can find some way of getting that off the window. Going to try the clay bar this weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts