Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 66 has a small scratch on the windshied... looks like the wipers ran without the wiper blade.

It's not a real bad scratch and just a couple inches long but its right in front of my face on the windshield... anyone know how to fix windshield scratches?

Thank you,

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
i have used a light rubbing compound to remove light scratches,then buffed it out with some wax.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
You can try toothpaste (not gel). Regular old white colgate will take small scratches out of glass.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Windshield scratches

I used to install and repair auto glass so here's a few things you can try. First of all, the major factor when repairing a windshield scratch is how long and deep it is. If its shallow and you can barely feel it when you run your finger over it, then I would start off by using a rubbing compound (My favorite is Turtle Wax - Rubbing compound paste), the liquids are a waste of time on glass. First step is to park your car in the sun for about 30 min so you can heat up the glass, then pull your car into the shade and wait until the glass cools down to a "warm to the touch" temperature. Use a very soft cotton cloth or microfiber and start off lightly buffing the area and add more and more pressure for about 30 seconds and apply more paste if needed during this time. If it works then you're in good shape so just double check it again and repeat the buffing step if needed then pull your car back into the sun for another 30 min (the best time to do this is in the evening so you don't have to move your car more than once).

If that doesn't work then you're going to need to head over to your auto parts store or industrial supply place to get a small bottle of glass repair pit resin. This stuff will take the shape of the scratch and harden into the windshield as if it was liquid glass. You're going to need the resin, a single edge razor, paper towel and some clear plastic sheets ( like notebook dividers but they must be a clear plastic, doesn't matter what color). First, wipe off the area to be filled and again make sure your windshield is thoroughly warm and in indirect sunlight (afternoon is best) and put a dab of the resin into the scratch and make sure the whole thing is covered. Then place a small piece of your plastic sheet (cut to size) over the resin and let it cure for about 10 min (if after 10 min its still not dry, leave it until it is) and then peel the plastic off and you'll have a smooth raised surface on your window. Now take the razor with the blade at a 90 degree angle, start to sand the resin down until its all off the glass (it'll turn a whiteish color so scrape until its clear again). Its ok to use a razor at a "right angle" because steel cannot scratch glass, its less dense (don't use the razor at an angle and slice it off). Give it about a day and then you can shoot some windex on the window and clean it up. Good luck!

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a message and I'd be happy to help you out further.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.