Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Windstar intake swappers...

I have been really enjoying the Windstar swap. Sounds cool, runs cool, seems to have a little more grunt...

All is well except I am getting the following code: P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient

I am ready to point the finger of blame squarely at the silicon heater hose from the manifold to the EGR which is crimped in the center.

...not much flow there at all.

Has anyone else toyed with the idea of bending up some copper tubing and using the silicon heater hose for bushings?

- dan

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
You shouldn't be using heater hose.

Go to Napa and get emissions hose. That should at least prevent it from collapsing. Still not the best thing to use, but should work much better than heater hose.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I just had a piece of tube welded in place for like $5, it's smaller than the factory pipe and still flows fine, the hose sucks period, I replaced it 10 times before I finally had it fixed permanently

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
StalkerStang, the stuff Steve includes in the VAP kit is high-temp silicone.

David, it's not overheating and melting as much as it's too compliant and won't hold it's shape.

Does the guy at the muffler shop have the goods to do the job?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Mine did in the junk pile lol call (or go) and ask, if he doesn't it shouldn't be hard to find a short piece of small pipe somewhere

Go and check but I'm pretty sure the copper pipe is 3/4"

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to go 'steam-punk'.

The geometry just begged for brass elbows!

I hacksawed a slit in the larger end of four 1/2" 90 degree elbows from the plumbing supply store.

#4 Stainless steel worm-gear clamps compressed the split ends onto the smaller ends.

Not going to worry about that connection any time soon, I hope...

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
hey whatever works right? at least it should hold up fine, good thinking!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far, so good!

The silicone hose finally blew. The resulting jet of exhaust cut the 'red' and 'green' hard plastic vacuum lines running the EGR!

All better after a week of hot-rodding around town.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts