Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well winter is officially here, I washed my car tonight because it was super dirty and when I went to open my passenger door it was frozen and I broke the handle, the driver side was also frozen and now it opens but the door handle is iffy at best, how much of a pain is it to replace the outside door handles?? and is it costly?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The hardest part is that they are riveted on, and use a rivet gun that usually only a body shop has access to. Alot of people use bolts to hold them ona fter they replace them.

I would suggest you buy the parts and have a body shop install the handle. It will not take them very long to do it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
kuzmar_14 said:
Well winter is officially here, I washed my car tonight because it was super dirty and when I went to open my passenger door it was frozen and I broke the handle, the driver side was also frozen and now it opens but the door handle is iffy at best, how much of a pain is it to replace the outside door handles?? and is it costly?

Shave them off! I've always wanted to do that! Pop a remote on it...Just a thought:)

It shouldnt be too bad to replace. I cant imagine the part costing too much. It should only take a Ford Tech about 1 shop hour to replace it. Maybe less than 200 bucks for part and labor?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah each side is 33 bucks(can) so it isn't too bad, but thanks for the body shop idea, that's where I'll take it for sure!:)

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I did the nut and bolt trick. Much easier than those rivets. Make sure you get metal door handles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
50resto.com has hem for ike $50 bucks with the rivets, you can buy a rivet gun at any crappy tool store for 50 bucks, thats what i did with my 5.0 swap, both door were broken and the windows were up when i got the 4cyl, if you use the rivets you can get away without taking the door panels off,

·
Registered
148 Posts
I bought the 5.0resto.com rivet gun with rivets and it was way faster than worrying about nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought my door handles for 15 bucks on ebay, both metal and gloss black, before I knew about 50resto. I grabbed a couple rivets at my race shop and a rivet gun, took maybe 5 minutes to do both sides. If you dont get black head rivets, grab some paint and spraypaint them before you put them on the car, wish I wouldve done that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.