Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
It hasent been all that recent that we recieved a snowfall in October here in North Country New York (North of Syracuse about 45 miles). Lucky for us we recently recieved 2 feet of snow and freezing rain where im located. Unfortunately, I have not put the snows on my 2007 V6. I had to drive through the snow and slush filled roads with my fiance' that particular night when the storm hit, and let me tell you...it was not pretty. Road conditions were hazerdous for most all vehicles even if they had four wheel drive. So here I am driving down the roads with my Pirelli Racing tires and five spoke aluminum rims. Panic was the first thing that came to my mind, especially when just begining to approach a decent sized hill.

My point is that its not all that bad. That night my car outpreformed the majority of vehicles on the road. Granted, I did not horse the car around and took it very easy around corners while at the same time kept a concious outlook on my speed. The car wanted to dance around from time to time but it was nothing that I couldnt handle. Im so sick of all these people saying its not possible. It is possible to drive in the snow with your stang and thats the truth, GT or V6. I was so worried the first time i ever took the stang out in the snow. THoughts of corrosion, head on collisions, and being stranded always crossed my mind. Rather than worry to much I bought some Michelin X-Ice snows and some steel rims to go with them so i didnt have to mess around with remounting my tires. THe car preformed perfectly, In fact, I was moving through areas in which my buddy with a Chevy Impala (2007) front wheel drive was getting stuck (And he had snow tires).

All my buddies are amazed at the amount of **** the stang has put up with in the winter, from freezing rain to 3 feet of snow, shes made it no matter the conditions. As for the window with the slip function, NO PROBLEMS. I have my car sprayed with rustproofing and undercarriage protector and throw two 70 pound sandbags in the back, strap on the winter shoes (Michelin X-Ice) and im set to travel the roads. I live in watertown NY, while my fiancee' (however the hell you spell it) lives in Cornwall Ontario (Canada). The stang has never failed me in the winter and Ive seen some serious S%$& conditions for winter driving. I wouldnt suggest driving with no weight, no undercarriage protection, or no snows! These are a must for this real wheel power house...

Overall dont let winter driving turn you off of the Ford Mustang. People have given the car a bad reputation on the snowy roads but Id like to stand here and respectfully disagree. If i can do it living right off the edge of Lake Ontario (LAKE EFFECT SNOW & FREEZING TEMPERATURES) than anyone can do it. Strap the snows on and drive safe and you wont be disappointed, Guaranteed.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
748 Posts
Everyone in America drove front engine/rear drive cars, decades before FWD became the mainstream.
Learn to drive in the snow, just like they did, and you'll do fine.

(Originally from Michigan, where I drove everything from a '66 Plymouth to an '05 'Stang in the snow, so I know how it goes)

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
My car handled amazingly well last winter on the stock pirellis. I am going to keep the pirellis as my winter set until the wear down then get snow tires like your Michelin X Ice and then have a summer set of Nittos :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
I got All Season tires for driving in cold weather but driving in the Rain/Snow is just NOT fun in a Mustang, but it can be done.

Driving in the navigating rain/snow in a RWD Manual V8 takes skill and experience, its better that "Regular" drivers don't, it can be dangerous. But now we have all those wonderful air bags.

I had a Toyota Corolla that was great in the Rain n Snow but u just dont feel safe in that car, in a Mustang you feel safe(r).:scratchchin

I try to avoid Stanging in that kinda weather when possible. But sometimes you gotta do it. Imagine parallel parking in NYC after snow, in a Mustang:nogrinner

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sorry ....although it makes me feel all good inside that my car will be fine in the snow, I think I will stick to my Explorer for that and leave my Mustang at home under it's blanket.

·
Registered
352 Posts
driving in he snow is not that hard the matter what you drive. pay attention to what the road conditions are and you'll be fine. living in Colorado are roads are covered for Weeks at a time. I've never had any problems, with cars from mustangs to Cummings, to Porsche, it's the driver not the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
driving in he snow is not that hard the matter what you drive. pay attention to what the road conditions are and you'll be fine. living in Colorado are roads are covered for Weeks at a time. I've never had any problems, with cars from mustangs to Cummings, to Porsche, it's the driver not the car.
Totally agree! It is the driver! Here in Wisconsin, we have good and bad winters, and although I just got my Mustang, I have driven RWD cars for some time; you just have to take it easy, invest in good snow tires, some sand in the back, and take it easy!!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
imo its all in the tires and driver. a good set of winter tires and a decent driver and you will be fine... even in the snow.

do what my dad taught me to do if you feel uncomfortable driving in the snow....

when i got my license at 16... i got my first snow driving experience almost immediately and what my dad did was took me to a empty parking lot and told me a few tips and said go nuts here.... its all about getting to know what the 'feel' is like in snow. You will start learn where you need no gas at all and where if you let off the gas your screwed, LOL! Its all about knowing that feeling your cars steering wheel gives you back from the road that will teach you to drive in snow... i think the few things my pop's told me was little-no gas in corners.... triple your brake distance, if you feel your about to get stuck in the snow plow area do not get off the gas (this vary's from situation to situation), try to drive in lower gears and use engine brakes as much as possible, smooth and steady on the clutch and gas, dont turn the steering wheel more than it needs to in any situation (ie. changing lanes)... gosh i think thats all i can come up with for those who care to read this, lol.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i live in NJ and go to school at Rutgers. i was suprised how well it did handle in one inch of snow/slush up by school. just drove nice and easy. my first reaction was i am F'ed i was afraid until i started driving it. 1st time i have driven in the snow with it and it did well. just not roaring past the hotties at the bus stop on that day. it was def a wake up call to get snow tires ASAP. i keep putting it off. i dont want to drop the money

·
Registered
58 Posts
Agreed! I have an 07 GT and live in Fruit Heights Utah, (that's lake effect from the Great Salt Lake, plus i live at the base of a mountain) when we get snow we get 2 feet every blasted time. And i'm sick and tired of hearing "your car is not going to make it". I always respond, well with you driving no it won't. It really is all about the driver in ANY weather condition. if your not an idiot then you will be fine. and if you really need it, put some salt or sand in the trunk.... and take traction control off, because that will mess you up more than help you (just my opinion). I also used to drive a 1996 cobra.. same story. its a piece of cake to drive in the winter. You just gotta be semi-intelligent. :bigthumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.