Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to buy winter wheels/tires for my 2012 Mustang. It does have Brembo brakes and the original 19" wheels to fit that. However, I was planning to get a cheaper set of wheels just for the winter, and put winter tires on it.

I have a set of 17" wheels from my previous Mustang, but I've already searched and found out that I can't have enough clearance with 17" :( So I will have to sell that and get a new set for this car.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever tried putting steel wheels on a Mustang with Brembo brakes?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
18's will not clear, in many cases 19s will not either. my car has 19inch oem wheels that dont fit with brembos... the brembo wheels have a recessed lip and the spokes are quite thin since the wheels features a multi spoke design

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Look at the 18X9.5 2010 GT500 wheels, around $700 with the sensors and they will clear factory Brembo's

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
When I looked into winter wheels for my 2010, I was told that there is no such thing as steel wheels for these cars, period.

For the winter, you want narrow wheels and tires -- the narrowest wheels that I know of, that will clear brembos, are the 18x9" AMR's from American Muscle (confirm that with them before you buy them). The 2010 GT 500 wheels are a good option also, though they are a little wider.

Or, you might find a set of take-off brembo wheels on craig's list. I'm pretty sure those are 9" wide.

·
Registered
946 Posts
So I'm looking to buy winter wheels/tires for my 2012 Mustang. It does have Brembo brakes and the original 19" wheels to fit that.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever tried putting steel wheels on a Mustang with Brembo brakes?
I have a dedicated winter setup on my '12 GT with BBK. I got it from Discount Tire Direct. It uses a set of 18" (yes, 18") Drag DR34 wheels (which are complete garbage, but great for winter) and 235/45/18 winter tires.

There are no steel wheels that I could find for this car. But cheap alloys are just that--cheap!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I run a set of staggered fit SVE Anniversary wheels . Fronts are 9 inch with about a 36 offset and I run 255 on them. reasonably inexpensive wheels to thrash the winter salt. There is both face clearance as well as room for balancing weights around the inside diameter for the Brembo calipers.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I got my whole winter setup from tire rack. They have 18's that will clear. If not as another said 2010 GT500 18's will clear as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought 18" AMRs (inexpensive) to put a set of Michelin PS AS/3. The AMRs fit over the Brembos and look pretty good. The 19's are in the Garage until Spring.

Actually, I was told when shopping look for wheels that are listed for the GT500 (which also has brembos). If it fits the GT500, it should fit the GT with Brembos (at least, that's what I was told).

2014-09-20 12.55.34.jpg <--- Click here to see photo. Not sure why it is so small

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I had the black Brembo wheels and Continental Extreme DWS 245/40/19 tires on my 2012 GT with the BBP for winter driving. I got them at Tire Rack and the set up was great.

I'm sure the American Muscle Boss 302 wheels wil fit too. Those fit on my present car with no problem. I don't drive it in the winter but I do use a different set of wheels/ tires for cold weather driving until the snow hits.

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts