Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I have:
Car - 65 Mustang Fastback

Engine - 289 C code(rebuilt 1800 miles ago to original spec with new original style 2bbl carb), original manifolds, new 2 inch daul exhaust

Trans - 4speed toploader

Rear - 2.80 gears, leaf springs, drum brakes

Front end - TCP coil over suspension kit w/ all options, stainless disc brakes, KRC power steering, and 17x8 rims

What i'm thinking about doing:
New Intake and 4 bbl carb. (possibly eldebrock proformer w/ 500 or 600 cfm 4 bbl carb)

Headers (Tri-Y??????)

Gears???????

I'm looking for suggestions on which parts to use and/or different mods I should do. Thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I would do a 5 speed conversion using a T5 and a set of 3.5:1 gears, this will improve both fuel economy and performance.

On the same line, instead of an ole-carburator, maybe try a Holley ProJection carb, will improve both economy and performance.

On the exhaust side the TRi-Ys are just fine.

Something else might be to port the old-school 289 heads or swap in favor of something more modern, like a set of alum AFRs.

Also install an electronic ignition, at least a pertronix.

I'm always in favor of a good restoration, but at the same time i think keeping the car up-to-date with more modern harware makes the ride more enjoyable while improving performance, emissions and fuel economy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.