Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a 2011 Mustang GT this summer, and will be moving to Maryland in October. I have driven in the snow before without much difficulty, and have 20 years of driving experience, so am very experienced behind the wheel. I was wondering what everyone's feeling are about winter driving in a Mustang. I'm debating on whether I should buy winter tires or just getting a second car for around $2,000 and put the 'Stang in storage when the white stuff starts falling. As my Mustang will be coming with "summer only" tires, I know that I will need to buy new tires if I decide to drive my Mustang during the winter. The benefits of getting winter tires would be that I can drive my car all year long, save money on the insurance for a second car, and possibly keep the resale value of the car higher. The downside would be the salt and possibility of being rear-ended by another driver. What do you think?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Where are you moving to in MD? Depending on where you are, you really don't have to worry too much about snow, and it'll probably be more cost effective to just get the tires. This past winter was a freak event, and probably won't ever happen again lol.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Depends on how deep the snow is. :gringreen
I replaced my tires to the Eagle All Season's and they are much better in the snow than the originals.
A bit of weight in the trunk helps.
I do not venture out if the snow is over 6" though.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just got a really cheap Jeep for this exact same reason. I spent 2500 and got something with 4 wheel drive so I can fight the Ice and snow and not put my Stang at risk.

·
Registered
376 Posts
In western NY you don't see Mustangs in the winter too much, but Maryland gets a lot less bad weather than here. I will be driving the G35x with winter tires. If you do snow tires on the new Mustang, you'll be replacing them every year when you burn them off.:D

Great choice on options and color with stripe on the GT. If money were no issue, I would have done the same.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live in Colorado and my plan is to buy snow tires and a set of wheels, so I can replace them at home when needed.
A beater is another option, but we already have a SUV (my wife's drive) and my daily drive to work is a short non-highway one, so I rather drive the Mustang that some junk car, winter is long here...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm buying a 2011 Mustang GT this summer, and will be moving to Maryland in October. I have driven in the snow before without much difficulty, and have 20 years of driving experience, so am very experienced behind the wheel. I was wondering what everyone's feeling are about winter driving in a Mustang. I'm debating on whether I should buy winter tires or just getting a second car for around $2,000 and put the 'Stang in storage when the white stuff starts falling. As my Mustang will be coming with "summer only" tires, I know that I will need to buy new tires if I decide to drive my Mustang during the winter. The benefits of getting winter tires would be that I can drive my car all year long, save money on the insurance for a second car, and possibly keep the resale value of the car higher. The downside would be the salt and possibility of being rear-ended by another driver. What do you think?

Thanks for posting this question. I am in New Jersey and had the same concerns.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I use the 4x4 Ranger for the Winter, great for doing some of the hauling of parts also. Ext cab so I can carry survival gear in back when the weather gets bad.
Dave

·
Banned
44 Posts
When I had my 2008 convertible,it went nowhere when it snowed. When I do this again,I will make sure that I have a 2nd car to drive in the winter. Not worth taking the chance of wrecking your car or even someone else running into you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Move south or get a second car. If you have the summer tires (Brembo ackage for instance), it's almost a no brainer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses. I'll be living between Baltimore and DC. I don't know how much it snows there, so maybe I can get away with just replacing the summer only tires with all weather or snow tires for the winter. I really want to be able to drive my car year round, but do not want to take any chances of her getting hurt or salt doing any damage. Anyone know the area up there well enough to say if I can get by with that. It'd really be a hit to the morale if I have to put her up in storage for the winter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great choice on options and color with stripe on the GT. If money were no issue, I would have done the same.
Thanks Magnamover, I didn't want to look back after I got it and say "I wish I would have gotten that option." :shiny:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I live in western NY and I just bought myself a winter car, my last car i had (Audi TT roadster) before i ordered my mustang was destroyed by this last winter. Sports cars plus the deep snow plus the salt plus the really cold weather just dont mix well. At least around here the salt alone will show wear and tear on a car within only a couple of winters

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Salt is nasty and should be outlawed but isn't

I had two 05 Mustangs. Drove both in the winter in Western New York State. They both have bubbling and peeling paint under the lips of both the hood and trunklid from just two winters in the salt. All the aluminum parts under the hood look like crap now, and there's even rust on the metal base of the seat frames, etc.

I have moved finally to get the **** out of the salt...forever I hope.

One of my cars was a V-6 coupe with auto trans and antilock brakes. I put four takeoff bullitt wheels and four new Michelin X-ice snow tires on it. That car was so much fun to drive in the winter that I looked for excuses to take short road trips EVERY weekend all one winter. I was just amazed by it's performance in the snow. Floor it, spin the tires briefly and trac control takes over. Slam on the brakes at the last minute and antilock takes over. Saves a lot of driver error. Wanna be a child and purposefully do donuts in the snow...then turn off the traction control.

If you pay cash for the new car, you aren't then required to have full insurance while it is off the road. You just need comprehensive while it is in storage and you turn in the plates for the winter. Saves money. Ask your insurance company..if you have a loan on the car...maybe there is a compromise option if plates are removed and car is in storage. If you have no place to store it in the city, then rent barn space in the country. I pay $150. a year for barn storage for one car.

Buy something like my 05 Mustang as a winter car. I've found that a used car 8 to 10 years old is just too old as a winter car...at least in the heavy salt country. They eat you up in repair costs for all the stuff that rusts out UNDERNEATH the car...stuff attached to the bottom of the car. Maybe you could find a southern used car which does not already have lots of rust...that would be better.

If you have the option to take public transportation or get a ride to work on days in which there is snow (and several days thereafter), then that would be the cheapest thing to do.

Hopefully, and eventually, the governments will see that salt just causes more problems with our lives. What should be done is to stop putting salt on the streets, require snow tires, and teach people to drive with more extensive driving classes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't know about all areas, but around here they pre-treat the roads with liquid calcium chloride before the snow arrives then when the snow hits they use a salt/chat mixture for melting and traction and this combo is pure hell on a vehicle I always keep an old beater explorer or pickup and to me it's well worth it you don't have to worry about rust, accidents, aluminum wheel pitting,chipped paint, cracked windshields etc. if it were me I'd leave the stang parked and get a beater or in your case, in a metro area , maybe ride the bus...besides five years down the road your car will look much better and probably have a better resale value....just my 2 cents worth :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is so nice knowing your car is safe and you don't have to worry about anything the winter throws at you. There isn't any feeling like the day you take your Mustang out that first day you drive it the spring. You feel soooooo good! Buy a second car for the winter, it's worth it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drive my 2005 vert year round and plan on doing the same with my 2011. No new tires. It drives just as good as any car I've had before other than our SUV. If there's snow storm Where the plows haven't gotten to it yet I'm not going to drive any car. Really though how many days in a year would you get hit wi an un plowed street coming or going from work? Not too many. I'm in Chicago FYI

·
Registered
224 Posts
I plan on running winter tires with an '11 vert, but I'm keeping my old car until then in case it's a mistake. I never liked the idea of buying a new car and running a beater that may break down in winter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I'll be living between Baltimore and DC. I don't know how much it snows there, so maybe I can get away with just replacing the summer only tires with all weather or snow tires for the winter. I really want to be able to drive my car year round, but do not want to take any chances of her getting hurt or salt doing any damage. Anyone know the area up there well enough to say if I can get by with that. It'd really be a hit to the morale if I have to put her up in storage for the winter.
That's right where I live, and there's never all that much snow, this past winter was a heck of an anomaly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I plan on running winter tires with an '11 vert, but I'm keeping my old car until then in case it's a mistake. I never liked the idea of buying a new car and running a beater that may break down in winter.

I didn't even think about the prospect of being stranded on the side of the road with a broken down junker. Thanks for bringing that up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.