Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THe GT didn't do too well in its first encounter with snow, so a set of Dunlop M3s are on order . . . the rep at www.tirerack.com said they were his favorite winter tires.

I believe that the weight distribution of the '05GT is better than the bad old days (2004 and earlier :winks ) at 53% F/ 47% rear, but I was contemplating adding a little weight to the rear end--maybe 100 lbs or so--to aid with traction. I'd be interested in your thoughts on this, as well as any other tips that you think might tame the beast a little more for winter driving. It's going to spend its winter in Grand Forks, ND. It gets hellaciously cold there, but there aren't too many times where the GT will be plowing through snow. Mostly, it's going to be a matter of driving on snow-packed roads. I'm sticking with the stock tire size (235/55-17).

Thanks.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well, I have the V6 and had planned on putting the stock rims and tires back on once it looked like the salt trucks were coming out. Anybody got input on how they think the stock tires for the V6 will do in the snow. I too will be mostly on already packed and or salted/sanded roads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Blizzaks seem to be working

I haven't been in a lot of bad weather yet, some snow, a little ice. I have a set of stock rims I bought off Ebay and a set of Blizzak WS50's. They've been great so far, I saw on Tire Rack they have standard steel rims and Bridgestone has a new tire that looks very good. Being in Minnesota I figured I needed to have great Ice and Snow capability without too much concern for speed and handling so I went with the WS50's. I stayed with stock size of 215/65 16.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not expecting too many problems driving my Mustang in the winter (once I get the car, that is). I've been driving a 1990 Mercury Grand Marquis with plain old all season tires for the last five years here in New England (over 100" of snow last year), and I haven't even skidded once. I think it's more a matter of safe and intelligent driving over dropping dollars on studded tires and the like. I've seen more AWD SUVs and 4x4 pickups crashed off the side of the road than I have seen rear wheel drive grandmother cars sitting in a snow drift.

Drive safely, all!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts