Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 4.0L V6 automatic and I am looking at coils wires and spark plugs.
Are the performance gains worth the extra money between $35 Taylor Street Thunder 8mm Spark Plug Wires and $110 Performance Distributors Livewires 10mm Spark Plug wires?
Are the performance gains worth the extra money between $70 NGK Iridium IX Performance Spark Plugs and $30 NGK G-Power Platinum Performance Spark Plugs?
Are the performance gains worth the extra money between a $155 Granatelli Motor Sports 60,000 volt coil, a $100 Accel Super EDIS Coil Pack--Horizontal, and a $90 Performance Distributors Screamin Demon Coil 45,000 volts?

I would like to save the money and get the cheapest coil, wires, and spark plugs but would i be sacrificing alot of power?

·
Registered
465 Posts
OEM Motorcraft spark plugs will work fine and not cause any problems. There is no point using anything more expensive on a V6.

I have heard of problems with Accel products with Chevy engines, but no info about how they work with the Mustang. Unless you are doing something unusual with this engine (Nitrous, SC, etc.), almost any reputable coil and plug wires will work. Also, on modern engines where the computer is monitoring the engine for misfire I'm not sure its necessary to replace the coil and wires as part of a routine tune-up.

Bruce

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would not go with the most expensive solution, so i bought myself the taylor streetthunder wires, Accel Coil, and some medium priced plugs. so you can open up the Plug Gap a bit.
Have not installed it yet.. still waiting for Spring... :laughlitt
But most reviews say it leads to a quicker startup, little better MPG, and small Performance gain.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OEM Motorcraft spark plugs will work fine and not cause any problems. There is no point using anything more expensive on a V6.

I have heard of problems with Accel products with Chevy engines, but no info about how they work with the Mustang. Unless you are doing something unusual with this engine (Nitrous, SC, etc.), almost any reputable coil and plug wires will work. Also, on modern engines where the computer is monitoring the engine for misfire I'm not sure its necessary to replace the coil and wires as part of a routine tune-up.

Bruce
So the $70 spark plugs won't improve performace at all so it is a waste of money? ok thanks.
As for the coil I probably am going to go with the Screamin Demon, I can't imagine the 15,000 volt difference between that 45,000 volt Screamin Demon and the 60,000 volt Granatelli making that much of a difference.
What about the wires? will it make that much of a difference between the 8mm Taylor Street Thunder and the 10mm Performance Distributors LiveWires?

another thing i forgot to originally post, I only have about 18,000 miles, I'm just doing this for the power and smoother idle.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts