Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i am having wiring issues 67 mustang coupe. The green wire with the red stripe, which is hooked up to the regulator has shorted out and melted all the way up to the ignition. I believe this is an alt idiot light?? Would I be able to just get rid of that wire? Or is it of more importance?

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
831 Posts
The ignition switch either sends voltage down 904 or receives voltage from 904. That said, odds are good you'll need this wire since it serves a purpose. Plan on replacing it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The more important question here is why did it burn up? You cant just replace the wire you have to find out what shorted it out and overloaded it. Wires dont just burn up for no reason. You have a short somewhere that will burn up a new wire also. Or be careful it may not appear shorted now but you may have an intermittent short that will burn up your new wire. Dont want to burst your bubble and let you think you can just replace wire you may have to replace other things. Possible shorted voltage regulator. Or maybe just a short to ground on the wire itself somewhere down the line.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Why did this wire short out? Was the regulator the cause or was the wire cut/frayed/abraded in some way?

·
Registered
831 Posts
The more important question here is why did it burn up? You cant just replace the wire you have to find out what shorted it out and overheated it. Wires dont just burn up for no reason. You have a short somewhere that will burn up a new wire also. Or be careful it may not appear shorted now but you may have an intermittent short that will burn up your new wire. Dont want to burst your bubble and let you think you can just replace wire you may have to replace other things. Possible shorted voltage regulator. Or maybe just a short to ground on the wire itself somewhere down the line.
Haha, you beat me by less than a minute!! :)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
No green/red wire= no charging battery. If you think you live without that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
matthew67stang-The more important question here is why did it burn up?

When i started up the engine my harness wasn't properly installed and ended up rubbing on the headers:S Fixed that issue but a little too late. Ended up frying the green w/ red all the way up. Lucky it didn't casue more damage Now I'm having issues getting the plug (3 male and one female) apart. Any idea's?
Thanks for the reply's and patience. This is the final step of getting it on the road:).
Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well I am glad you know what caused the burn that makes it alot easier. now you can just replace that circuit. As far as getting that connector apart without damaging it. It may be too late for that if it wont just pull apart. May have overheated the connector itself. You could try soaking it in penetrating oil to loosen it. You may need to cut the connector out and solder in a new one. Sometimes what I do on the older vehicles with connectors like these that dont have any means of a positive lock anyway, is I will go to the local salvage yard and find a late model vehicle wiring harness and pick out a connector with the same amount of terminals and relatively same gauge wires and I will substitute it in the harness for a better connection with a positive lock to hold it together. Or you can buy one like this off the internet.This company has many terminals for repairing connections or making you own. WeatherPack 3 Way Female Male Connector Assembly Set - The Repair Connector Store

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I might go check out some of my local stores for a 4 prong plug. I guess it doesnt have to be the same one eh? Thanks for the reply.
Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
831 Posts
The WeatherPack system is nice. I have used it for a few connections on my car and have been pleased with the results. The initial investment in the required crimpers is kinda tough to swallow, but it pays for itself with years of trouble free driving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts