Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal, I just bought a 1988 Mustang lx done up like a GT. I got a pretty good deal on it, it's got a healthy 306 and no rust so I'm happy. However, with any good deal there's a few speed bumps to get over. I ripped out the entire interior to trace some electrical issues and clean it up a bit too. Here are some starting points.

My dome light doesn't work for some reason.
The hatch area light doesn't work.
My hazards don't work.

Other than that everything pretty much works but for some reason there's like a million unclaimed connectors. I have pics detailing which ones are a mystery to me and would love it if someone 87-93 savvy would kindly help a newbie out. This is my first mustang and I'm pretty handy when it comes to cars but someone either jacked the wiring up on this thing or Ford just likes to play games. Either way it would really help out if someone who's been there before could share the wealth and help me tackle this bug.

Here is my album with plenty of information as to where the connectors are and my theories on where they go.

Putfile | kiroc89's Photo Album - quest for wiring...ing (88 mustang)

For what it's worth I did actually read through a ton of old threads but didn't really find anything...plus I have a chilton's on the way so if worse comes to worse I'll be flipping pages.

Thanx

·
Registered
328 Posts
Does your Spedo. light dimmer work that is also connected to the cabin light, there are multiple pin on the back of it that can go bad. try testing that out and possible replacing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
actually no, it's got good bulbs in the back but I'm pretty sure none of them would light up. It's got some kind of ebay overlay thing that has a power source and lights up but the bulbs in the cluster are good but i didn't see them on at any time when the headlights were on.

So if the dimmer switch is bad could that make for no dome light/hatch light/instrument lights?

It's kind of a clunky switch, what was Ford thinking? lol

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
The dimmer switch could affect those circuits alright. It could also be the doorjam switches, if one is unplugged then the dome light and hatch light would never come on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.