Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a spot in the firewall that i can run a 4 gauge wire through to the trunk? or is there a better spot

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wouldnt recommend running 4 guage wire through the firewall. Its really hard to run thick wire in the door sills or through the headliner. I have done it the following way and it works great.

-buy alot of wire-tires. thick, sturdy ones.
-from battery, run down near the wheel-well.
-wire tie it every 6 inches or so above/inside the wheel fender (this wire doesnt matter getting wet or dirty. its really well insulated. just make sure you use wire ties to secure it good enough so it doesnt get into the wheels)
-find a path under the car that you can follow back to the trunk area. I followed the brake lines. Just wire tie them to whatever you can, but follow the brake lines back. make sure you secure the wire every 6 to 12 inches or wherever you see slack.
-Up over the rear wheel well, just like you did in the front. Usually, there are some good holes under here. Just search around until you find a good place to wire-tie it up.
-Drill an appropriate sized hole in the bottom of the trunk (left or right side near the rear). be sure to avoid the gas tank in the middle. The side are pretty open (not anything you will drill into).
-now the wire is in the trunk, run it however you need to to get to your amp.

I also usually fill the hole around the wire with silicon, but it wont hurt if you dont.

You dont want to run your audio cables (RCA's) under the car, only the power cable.

For those You can either just drill a hole in your firewall, or use an existing hole. There should be a hole there that is has a rubber plug in it, just cut out the middle of the rubber plug and you're in.

I have drilled holes in my firewall, it doesnt hurt anything. Just get up under the dash and pull the carpet back as far as you can. Use a reference point to make sure you wont hit anything when you drill through. try to stay as far from the exhaust headers as you can. (You will be somewhat close to them, this is normal, just as far as you can)

Good luck

·
Registered
826 Posts
yes...there is a hole located on the driver side...below the brake boster...you will see wires coming threw it already!

·
Registered
244 Posts
You can also feed it in to the driver side fender and then into the cab through the gromet located near the door hinges. Stand outside your car, open you driver door and look in the gap between the fender and door, you should see the gromet. The wire will come out in the cab above the kick panel.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! i saw the hole under the brake booster but i wasnt sure where to take it from there or how to get it in the cab but i found the gromet you were talking about wires are now 99% hiden thanks alot guys looks way better

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i originally had it going under the hood hinge through the fender through the door gap and under my seat i know dangerous but it was the quickest way i was just tryin to get it all together it was dark now i can not worry so much about my hood goin up in flames

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.