Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...i'm going to try to convince the wife tonight that i need to trade in my 2005 Windveil V6 for an 2006 Tungsten GT. A couple things factor in-

1. I just accepted a job that's going to pay about 25% more to start, with another 10% increase before June.

2. I gotta get it now b/c I found a dealer that will take X-Plan on a GT on the lot, and I won't qualify for X-Plan after I leave my current job.

3. I'm tired of looking at GTs and seeing guys that look like me, and looking at V6s and seeing women and teenagers.

4. My current car was my first Mustang, and after buying it off of the lot I realized I wanted different wheels, leather seats, ABS, a T-lok, a CAI and tune to increase the HP. I also wish I hadn't put in the satellite radio antenna cuz I don't like the way it looks. If I get this car I'd keep it for a LONG time. My current car, I'd like to dump ASAP!

Any pointers on how else to make my case??? :eyebulge:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
DW Rutledge said:
...i'm going to try to convince the wife tonight that i need to trade in my 2005 Windveil V6 for an 2006 Tungsten GT. A couple things factor in-

1. I just accepted a job that's going to pay about 25% more to start, with another 10% increase before June.

2. I gotta get it now b/c I found a dealer that will take X-Plan on a GT on the lot, and I won't qualify for X-Plan after I leave my current job.

3. I'm tired of looking at GTs and seeing guys that look like me, and looking at V6s and seeing women and teenagers.

4. My current car was my first Mustang, and after buying it off of the lot I realized I wanted different wheels, leather seats, ABS, a T-lok, a CAI and tune to increase the HP. I also wish I hadn't put in the satellite radio antenna cuz I don't like the way it looks. If I get this car I'd keep it for a LONG time. My current car, I'd like to dump ASAP!

Gas mileage/insurance aint that different from the V6 to the GT. I had an '01 V6 and just got the GT and came off my parents insurance and I'm roughly paying the same amount. Gas mileage isn't that much worse over the V6. There are only postives in upping the powerplant. I love this car more than anything. You must get it at any cost. The power! Oh my lord the power! ;-) I'm sure you get just as many looks in the V6, but I'll get many more when I hit WOT and the engine comes alive:happyhapp

·
Registered
599 Posts
Get her to drive it, and it will do the work for you. That's what I did. I traded an 05 v-6, for an 05 GT. I took the wife with me and once we test drove it she was sold.......I just had to work my butt off getting a fair trade amount. It can be done, just be prepared to leave if you dont get a fair trade price. Good Luck!:thumbup

·
Registered
164 Posts
DW Rutledge said:

Just show up with the GT...
I dare ya - :sterb:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update:

got the green light from the mrs., we're going to the dealership at 7 tonite!

:laughlitt

·
Registered
829 Posts
.....welcome to the "Man's Stang Club" .....

aaugh..... I better not post that. I.... I....(I didn't say that outloud did I?)...

You will be pleased in the long run whatever the cost.

·
Registered
184 Posts
DW Rutledge said:
update:

Congrats!! You will both love it! :drink:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm so lucky to have an 05 GT. But, eventually they'll come out with a new and improved model. It's almost 6:00 right now, so you are prolly going crazy with anxiety.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sometimes.....

DW Rutledge said:

Sometimes, it's better to ask for forgiveness, then permission. However I'm not the best person to give marital advise, as I struck out twice! :eyebulge:

I'm single again now. It's great that I can get into my hobbies without having to justify the large expense.

I don't know what your financial situation is, nor is it my business. But if you're trying to build wealth, a future, then buying and selling cars too often can really impact your financial future in the long run. You a family man? Frankly, and don't take this wrong, but I think the reasons you listed are all lame, but at the same time, I do understand your desire to get the new Mustang, and I myself have often had those same motivations. In my past I've made the mistake of bumping up my life style with every raise, so the net result was no raise. Just something to think about.

But I think one has to factor in many things such as financial planning, goals for the future, family obligations, extra cost of insurance, gas expenses, you know, the boring un-fun stuff.

Still, one only lives once, yea? Isn't it a constant wrestling match...deciding when and if to splurge, and on what?

Like most of us males here, you want your toys, and you want the fastest, most powerful, and I relate to that too.

Personally, I spent big big $$ over the years buying, selling, trading in, modifying, etc cars and sport bikes and man did I lose big $$ in selling/trading-in, etc.

Well, I hope it works out for you. Do let us know what you decide.

Now, off to buy some lottery tickets....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the input boys-positive and not so positive. lovcom-my reasons may sound lame to you but i'm sure your reasons for something else sound lame to me. to each his own. my new job way more than makes up for the difference in payment so it's not like i'm spending my entire raise, actually the difference will come out to about 15% of my raise every month, so no big deal.

broke even on the trade-in, so no real damage there. got home and the 06 tungsten gt is sitting in the garage! the wife was totally cool. she was like the v6 was like your test model and you got to figure out what you wanted/didn't want on your gt. gt's sitting the garage and i couldn't be happier. :laughlitt

btw it's a deluxe gt with iup, 17" bullits, shaker 500, and a stick of course. pix forthcoming.

·
Registered
240 Posts
DW - Good for you! Wives can be supportive, even if it doesn't make sense to them sometimes.

My wife ordered me my 05GT for my birthday. That was a great surprise! She decided that if anyone was gonna be the one to get it, she was. She doesn't drive it("Looks and sounds too much like a race car." Well, duh!) , but I think about her when I do! I think that was the point.

Welcome to the GT side! ( No, that's not the same as the dark side, that's reserved for the goats.)

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Congratz!

I could tell you a looong story about my not so happy wife... lol... keeping it short... got rid of the M3 for a family car (read: was tired of having it in for service), The Volvo S60-R was a lemon, the following V70-R got boring (auto)... hey honey, howabout I get a cheaper car, the new stang... 1000's; of hours on-line, at the shop, at the track, and (of course) dollars later she's not too thrilled... especially now when I'm having a 'top of the line' short block built... Yupp, the M3 was cheaper! But not many will be fatster! :evillol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!:winks Now make sure to get the X-Cal 2 (or other tuner) as Ford de-tuned this engine quite a bit. Hard to believe it, with how fast it goes. Check out my GT in the Black Registry somewhere to see it with 20 inch rims and an Eibach Pro kit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
DW Rutledge said:
thanks for the input boys-positive and not so positive. lovcom-my reasons may sound lame to you but i'm sure your reasons for something else sound lame to me. to each his own. my new job way more than makes up for the difference in payment so it's not like i'm spending my entire raise, actually the difference will come out to about 15% of my raise every month, so no big deal.

broke even on the trade-in, so no real damage there. got home and the 06 tungsten gt is sitting in the garage! the wife was totally cool. she was like the v6 was like your test model and you got to figure out what you wanted/didn't want on your gt. gt's sitting the garage and i couldn't be happier. :laughlitt

btw it's a deluxe gt with iup, 17" bullits, shaker 500, and a stick of course. pix forthcoming.
Hey glad it worked out to your satisfaction!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
DW Rutledge said:
update:

I...WE....expect a full, word for word account of that conversation. It may serve many of us in the future. If groveling or any sort of self debasement was involved, that's O.K! Be honest...we really wanna know.:smilie

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Larry Sergent said:
I...WE....expect a full, word for word account of that conversation. It may serve many of us in the future. If groveling or any sort of self debasement was involved, that's O.K! Be honest...we really wanna know.:smilie
haha, no debasement involved thank you very much.

i just layed out the reasons why i wanted to upgrade, plus the new job with the bigger paycheck didn't hurt matters. :winks She was like, "I wanted you to get the GT last year, so I don't have a problem with it. Do whatever makes you happy." plus, after i told her that every v6 i saw on the road had either a female or a high school kid, or worse a FEMALE HIGH SCHOOL KID driving it, she said she saw one on the way home that had some high school girl driving it. that pretty much sealed it for me.

we talked about me keeping the car forever, so if i was going to keep it that long, i wanted to have the exact car i wanted. i didn't want to look at it 30 years from now and think-it's just a v6.

kscoyote-man nothing can replace the V8, not even Carroll Shelby.

The V6 is great for a lot of people, but every time I saw an 05/06, whether it was a V6 or V8, i was reminded of the old tomato juice commercial-

"I COULDA HADDA V8!!!" :eyebulge:

nothing replaces the feeling of looking in the garage and knowing you have the exact car you want.

·
Registered
78 Posts
DW Rutledge said:
haha, no debasement involved thank you very much.

i just layed out the reasons why i wanted to upgrade, plus the new job with the bigger paycheck didn't hurt matters. :winks She was like, "I wanted you to get the GT last year, so I don't have a problem with it. Do whatever makes you happy." plus, after i told her that every v6 i saw on the road had either a female or a high school kid, or worse a FEMALE HIGH SCHOOL KID driving it, she said she saw one on the way home that had some high school girl driving it. that pretty much sealed it for me.

we talked about me keeping the car forever, so if i was going to keep it that long, i wanted to have the exact car i wanted. i didn't want to look at it 30 years from now and think-it's just a v6.

kscoyote-man nothing can replace the V8, not even Carroll Shelby.

The V6 is great for a lot of people, but every time I saw an 05/06, whether it was a V6 or V8, i was reminded of the old tomato juice commercial-

"I COULDA HADDA V8!!!" :eyebulge:

nothing replaces the feeling of looking in the garage and knowing you have the exact car you want.
Hey, I'm not a teenage female!

BUT, I gotta know - how did you BREAK EVEN on the trade in? I'm in the same sinking boat you were in, having bought the V6 not-so-long ago. I'd love to trade her for the GT!!!

At my last calculation, based on the dealers kind offer to give me "17-18K" I'd lose about 4 grand on the trade-in. What kind of magic spell did you put on the dealer that he was willing to trade you in at a rate that would brake you even? I gotta know. Is there a sweet-spot in payments / trade in value that would weild a break-even deal? I'd sell privately but I'm just too lazy, unless it's the only option I have!

I must do this now during the colder months before the spring sets in and everyone wants a GT! Please help! Send advice soon, I'm going under!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sorry man forgot to mention i got x-plan on the deal last year, and my v6 was an absolute base model. i think that's what allowed me to break even on the trade. actually, i had to pay $9.

seriously my comments aren't meant to insult anyone, that was just my experience. i loved my v6 and i was sad to give her up, but i'm not looking back! my v6 was a great car that had a lot of styling and good pickup. mine was just short on options (base model) and i wanted the bigger engine. you're not going to see me bash the v6 like a lotta people around here.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.