Ford Mustang Forum banner

"Wobbling" Balancer

382 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Beechkid
I just noticed that my balancer has a little wobble so I'm guessing I should replace it. My question is, which one should I go with. My engine is stock and do not have any mods, just exhaust, SVE radiator and Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan. I see that some use Dorhman and Pioneer, both have several options. LMR sells a Ford one that seems reasonable in price. Thoughts?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
LMR's has inflated prices for the same parts you can get elsewhere at cheaper prices. Your motor is stock so no need for a fancy, high end balancer. Just make sure you get the right one. There are 28oz and 50oz balancers. Check RockAuto for harmonic balancers.......
yeah I checked RockAuto but the Pioneer ones are a bit pricey. I'm thinking about this one from LMR

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-6316A/82-95-Mustang-50-oz-Harmonic-Balancer
LMR's has inflated prices for the same parts you can get elsewhere at cheaper prices. Your motor is stock so no need for a fancy, high end balancer. Just make sure you get the right one. There are 28oz and 50oz balancers. Check RockAuto for harmonic balancers.......
Reactions: Cobrajet67
That's not actually true. LMR sometimes has better prices than you can find elsewhere. It just depends on the individual item.
Rockauto only sells repro balancers for this era of 5.0. LMR sells the Ford brand balancer which will be the best quality standard replacement that there is.
LMR sells a Ford one that seems reasonable in price. Thoughts?
Definitely buy the Ford one assuming it's the right weight. Dorman is generally crap quality for engine parts so avoid the Dorman. The pricey Pioneer ones are performance balancers and you have no need for that.
I ended up getting the Ford one from LMR as it's a direct fit and have heard no real complaints on it for my use.
That's not actually true. LMR sometimes has better prices than you can find elsewhere. It just depends on the individual item.
Rockauto only sells repro balancers for this era of 5.0. LMR sells the Ford brand balancer which will be the best quality standard replacement that there is.

Definitely buy the Ford one assuming it's the right weight. Dorman is generally crap quality for engine parts so avoid the Dorman. The pricey Pioneer ones are performance balancers and you have no need for that.
Go with oem replacement.
Just keep in mind, atleast for the 4.0 and maybe for the 5.0, the balancer bolt on Summit is NOT the correct bolt
Reactions: Beechkid
Perhaps there is another option... Dampner Doctor...... he has been around for decades and does mostly "classics" but he may be able to do yours now....

Contact Us (damperdoctor.com)
Balancer rebuilding is a good option for when you can't get a new OEM balancer or if you want to keep the car original with all the original parts. In this case, LMR sells the new Ford brand balancer that's made in the USA(shockingly) for only $120.
Reactions: Beechkid
AGREE!!!!! Had to replace my wife's Hb on her car about 3 years ago (1997 Mercury Cougar Sport) and that's what I did.
Balancer rebuilding is a good option for when you can't get a new OEM balancer or if you want to keep the car original with all the original parts. In this case, LMR sells the new Ford brand balancer that's made in the USA(shockingly) for only $120.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts