Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if your 5.0 H.O. uses any oil and if so how much? Mine uses about a quart every 3000 miles, is synthetic oil a bad idea?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I work at an Audi dlr & before that I worked at a jeep/chrysler dlr & the rule of thumb was 1 qt in 1000 miles was normal.I use synthetic & dont use any oil.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
brlystok said:
I work at an Audi dlr & before that I worked at a jeep/chrysler dlr & the rule of thumb was 1 qt in 1000 miles was normal.I use synthetic & dont use any oil.
All cars don't use that much, though, do they? I suspect that if you have some wear on your rings and valve seals, your motor will end up burning even more oil, if you floor it regularly.

My '92 does use about that much.

·
Registered
579 Posts
On a 87-92 Mustang using a quart every 3k miles is normal. Forged Pistons with soft rings cause oil use. When my car was new and after break-in it was using a quart between oil changes. I have over 145k on it now and it uses a quart every 2k miles and if I use 20W50 I get 3k miles.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, mine seems to lose its oil just when i am being hard on it. I suppose its normal as it doesnt smoke or anything. If i drove like a wuss all the time it probably wouldn't lose even a quart at 3k.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.