Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys I've had this problem since October and I'm at my wit's end...

After driving my stang for about 20 or 30 minutes, once it's turned off, it will crank but not turn over again. After a few hours, it will crank. Twice it wouldn't crank and after 5 min it cranked again. WTF??? Usually, after about 20-30 minutes of driving it will start to hesitate somewhat. It's died on me a couple of times as well. I'll try to list everything I've tried:

I've changed the
*distributor
*dizzy cap
*rotar
*battery
*alternator
*tps
*Idle air bypass
*plugs
*control module
*coil twice
*starter solonoid
*unhooked and rehooked up msd 6al (still died or wouldn't start with or without it)
*checked timing 3 times (13*)
*checked for spark after coil (I think it was mostly successful)
*Fuel Pump always primes
*installed Fuel Pressure Guage on rail... getting 39psi at idle
*fixed all vacuum lines (still a high pitched noise coming from lower intake)

I have no idea what to do next. I've spent all of my money on this thing and I can't even drive it. Plus my clutch just went out last week so I can't drive it again to fix the problem... ugh.

Also, I think it was coincidence, but it didn't start this problem until I put a 1" spacer between the u/l intake.

I'm so lost now, any help would have me driving my car for the first time since I bought it last July- thanks:sosad:

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
You set the fuel pressure with the vacuum disconnected right, not just at idle?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Battery ground, Block ground, it happend to me to, i was so :eyebulge: .

the battery terminals were ok but i never check on the block ground, and there was the problem. hope u can reslove ur problem.
good luck

·
Registered
198 Posts
A couple of suggestions. First throwing parts at a problem is the worst way troubleshoot.
Second, when a problem occurs, the LAST thing you worked on is the FIRST thing to check.

You did not have the problem before putting the spacer between the upper and lower intake. CLUE NUMBER ONE.

You have a high pitched noise coming from around the intake. CLUE NUMBER TWO.

Pull the upper intake and either get rid of that spacer or put appropriate gaskets and sealer on it and stop the high pitched noise. ENGINE PROBLEM GONE.

Fix the clutch and ride.

·
Registered
654 Posts
had the same problem

i had the exact same problem with my 88, it was a ignition switch, the E2's had a recall or somthing and the E4's were the replacement, there held in with 2 "tamper proof torx"screws.a torx screw with a tit in the middle, it's a headache trying to drill them out, ended up finding a whole kit of 30 bits at partsource in the bargin bin for $8.00. if your in usa you wont have a partsource, but any auto parts store will have them, and the switches are only $25.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.