Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is what happened. Drove to work the other day just fine, shut the car off and went into work then it started raining and rained most of my shift. So then i went outside to leave and the car wouldnt start and the fuel pump wont stop priming with the key on. It will shut off when i turn the key off but runs constantly with the key on. It has spark and fuel at the schrader valve. So i replaced the fuel pump relay under the drivers seat, and the eec relay next to the computer and even replaced the computer and still is doing the same thing. So i hit the fuel pump relay and the pump would shut off then i would hit it again and the pump would turn back on. Someone please help

·
Registered
831 Posts
The relay is defective. If you can hit it and have it turn off, then it is defective.

Unless your hitting it is dislodging the wire feeding it power or giving it ground. Then it is a wiring problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The relay is defective. If you can hit it and have it turn off, then it is defective.

Unless your hitting it is dislodging the wire feeding it power or giving it ground. Then it is a wiring problem.
well i replaced it with one i bought from advance and then new one did the same thing as the original did.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you checked the inertia switch? AKA reset button? I see your name is 89 torque so if your in an 89 look in the trunk near the left tail light.

If you already new of this or checked it....sorry thats just a quick check that i figured i should at least mention.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked the inertia switch? AKA reset button? I see your name is 89 torque so if your in an 89 look in the trunk near the left tail light.

If you already new of this or checked it....sorry thats just a quick check that i figured i should at least mention.
yeah i already checked it

·
Registered
831 Posts
If you can hit the relay, and affect it, there is either a defective relay (which can happen, especially with a part from Advance) or a wire very near the relay at fault. Pull on the wires and expose them for inspection. Look for exposed copper and tape them up or use shrink tubing for a repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts