Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1965 mustang fastback c code 289 2bbl
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum, but not new to car forums, also a c2 vette owner and forum member

Newish to me 65 fastback c code 289 2bbl - won't start - good solid performance long ride yesterday, got new home, it sputtered (like no fuel) and died, difficult restart, ran another Mile, died same sputtered and won't start again. It acts like it wants to fire, not sure if it's dieseling, not getting a flooded smell

So far:
Checked fuel pump - good volume at the carb disconnected point
Pulled carb - Rebuilt and reinstalled, see fuel in carb when pumping throttle
Checked that I have spark at each cylinder
Pulled dist cap ensured all wires connected and in good order inside and repeated all spark plug wires
Pulled plugs and cleaned and rechecked spark
Checked coil connections

What the heck am I missing?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Too those coils themselves can produce way low voltage before going altogether. Maybe ballast resistor, those should get hot when motor running- reduces voltage to points when running, full 12 volts for starting. Also easy to connect coil wrong polarity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.

tried new dist cap, new coil - no help.

I was in denial that it could be timing chain, head gasket etc. Got a compression checker, #1 was about 100-110, #2 was 0-0. Pretty sure I had the guage seated well, so then I bailed.

When I checked oil at beginning of day, didn't smell gas, but when I checked at end of day after cranking excessively throughout the day after various fix attempts, I smell gas.

Hopefully just a timing chain and not a head gasket or complete rebuild.

It wasn't a dramatic fail, just acted like it ran out of gas...no loud bangs, no knocks. No clanks, just quietly quit running

Off to the shop unless anyone has any magical idea.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,443 Posts
I had a timing chain break in my 1969 Vette,no noise it just stopped,bent push rods,broken valves,busted piston,would not restart, and I was just sitting at a stop light when it shut off.Best of luck to you,and keep us posted.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Gas in the oil is common with a no starter and complete loss of oil pressure. Just made me think that a ruptured float in carburetor would apply to that problem. Won’t elaborate too much on that one lmao. Those used to be brass and the 2 halves were soldered together… shutdown would of been instantaneous.

Too for compression test squirt a bit of oil into cylinder prior to test. Look for like readings over high or low numbers there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Resolved, re-stabbed distributor, time to 10° before top dead center with test light, replaced condenser and points, replaced coil.
Turns out that while I got spark at each cylinder in my initial tests, It was very weak and inconsistent. I also think my timing was way off.....

Still need to set dwell, fine tune timing and change oil to clear all the gas I pumped into it while figuring this out

Why would timing suddenly be so wrong?

·
Tech-Advisor
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7
3,244 Posts
Could be your points slipped, the rubbing block wore out, one of the contacts fell off or they needed cleaning, cap got worn, coil was weak - hard to know with stuff being changed out now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts