Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 3.8... Thought it was the battery, bought a new one and didn't fix the problem.

Pulled into a parking lot, parked in front of a store came back out 3 minutes later (Las Vegas). I put my key in the car to turn it over and there is no response, no power at all except for a slow blinking CE light. Lots of clicking in passenger fender and persists even without key in ignition and only stops when the battery is disconnected. I came back hours later with a BRAND NEW battery and still same reaction as soon as both posts are connected. It has been brought to my attention it is either a grounding that may have come loose somewhere or it is simply the starter or starter solenoid. Thoughts?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
the clicking usually means your battery posts are very dirty and you are getting no connection..have you cleaned/replaced them ever?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Battery or starter terminals are dirty or corroded. My vote is for corroded starter terminals as that's what I've seen before with the same complaint as yours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured I'd get answers about the battery. It's brand new so I don't see how the posts could be corroded or anything of the like... The negative and positive attachments are spotless as well... I didn't have time to check the starter since it was the dead of night, but I will do that today. Definitely isn't the battery though. Any and all suggestions help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked it, doesn't turn over at all and no clicking. My bet is now on the solenoid or the starter itself.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Try this. Turn on the head lights. Are they bright? If not, there's a battery or terminal problem.

Turn the key on but do not crank. Do you hear the fuel pump run? Does the cluster perform a "lamp test"?

Turn the head lights on and then crank. What happens to the brightness of the head lights during cranking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Won't turn over

Hi.
2004 3.8 V6
Had a similar problem.
Wife drove int0 a parking place and it died.
Tried jumper leads but just the soilenoid on the starter clicked on and off. It seemed to me it had a short circuit. Went underneath the car and put my hand above the starter.
The wires seemed very close to the engine mount so I pulled them down.
Charged battery which was flat and the car started HOWEVER I had no power steering. I checked reservoir and it was empty.
Filled it and I had power steering for 10 seconds.
Put it on a lift and found both rubber boots on the rack and pinion steering filled withpower steering fluid and reservoir empty.
What is going on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts