Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am paranoid about everything on my 2015 Mustang. Its the nicest car I have ever owned, and I aim to keep it that way. Today, I opened the driver door a bit too wide. I didn't hear any cracks or creeks, should I be worried about any damage to hinges or springs, or did I get lucky? The door opens and shuts normal, it was dark already, so I'll check in the morning to see if the door is still sitting straight, I'm pretty sure everything is okay, I just worry too much when I have nice things. Thank you guys for your continuing advice.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You can't open it to wide, there are stops built into the hinges. I suppose if you slammed the door against the stops you could bend the hinges.

·
Super Moderator
2,893 Posts
I am paranoid about everything on my 2015 Mustang. Its the nicest car I have ever owned, and I aim to keep it that way. Today, I opened the driver door a bit too wide. I didn't hear any cracks or creeks, should I be worried about any damage to hinges or springs, or did I get lucky? The door opens and shuts normal, it was dark already, so I'll check in the morning to see if the door is still sitting straight, I'm pretty sure everything is okay, I just worry too much when I have nice things. Thank you guys for your continuing advice.

Are you joking with the post or nah? Unless you slam the door or basically open it and keep pushing it past where it wants to stop I don't think you can do damage to it. I mean I guess if you open it into a nearby object that would do some damage, but what your described, which I am not sure I know completely, you didn't and can't do any damage that way...

Don't worry so much you still have a bumper to bumper warranty and then an even longer powertrain warranty that covers all the major stuff. So enjoy the car!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I just opened it just a hair more than I think would be acceptable. But I didn't hear any funny noises.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wait until you have kids! They will show you how much abuse the hinges (and window mechanisms) can really take...and then you will have grandkids and not care:smile:

I think you're good. Door hinges can take a bit of overextension on occasion without damage. What you want to avoid is placing so much pressure on the door hinges that they bend, or the mount pads are set askew (but they are really tough).

I know a guy who had a passenger door hanging open (on his wife's nearly new car) in the garage and kicked the car out of gear causing it to roll backwards...the door scooping up tool cabinet and lawnmower before coming to rest against the garage door jamb. THAT took considerable adjustment and bending the hinges to realign the door...a minor accident on right front a month or two later got it all fixed good as new. I forget how long I was on double top secret probation for that onecrap-hitting-the-fan

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think most door opening damage is done in high wind conditions. Driver goes to get out of car not remembering the high wind direction. Wind grabs door and rips it from drivers hand and the damage is done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts