Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering this Cobra that is up for sale nearby. Scares me though that the valve guides need to be replaced as I believe that's a fairly expensive repair. I do happen to know a few good mechanics though that could cut me a deal but I think I'd still be looking at $1500-2000 for repair, if what I've read about valve guides is correct.

I'm considering offering him around $4000-5000 dollars, as the costs of the repairs are going to be another couple thousand dollars. Just looking for some advice as to whether this is a good idea or not, seems to me if he only has 60k miles on the car, and the valve guides are gone that he must have drove the **** out of it and there might be more wrong than what he thinks is wrong.

1996 Ford Mustang Coupe - London Cars For Sale - Kijiji London Canada.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I can almost promise you that he will not sell that car for $7,500 can't talk for the ones who get suckered into something like this.

I suggest go look at it and drive it. Do you know what to look for on these cars? If it seems to be a nice car and you can deal with the problem then talk to him tell him what you can offer but be sure to get a qoute on the job first so you got a ball park figure add whatever to that to make 7,500 or what you think the car is worth and tell the guy hey this is what I can give you.....personally I wouldn't even consider something like this cause my offer would make the guy cry there is way to many other ones out there.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Even if it didn't need engine work, it's barely worth the asking price. Does look like a nice clean car though. At your own cost (probably one hour of labor at whatever the going rate may be), have a mechanic or shop of your choosing give a thourough look at the car to make sure there are no other issues. Then, as previously mentioned, get a firm quote for the valve guide work. Including what that work will cost, try to get the car for no more than $6000 to maybe $6500; I think that's a reasonable price for a 17 year old car that's probably been over-revved a time or two.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
I've seen built 96s with superchargers on Ebay for around that price...skip it...I have over 200K miles on my 96 and have no valve guide issues so that should tell you something

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
he mustve driven the piss out that car. with only 60k on the clock and needing that kind of repair tells you it was not maintained, just put fuel in it and drove, thats it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
keep shopping dont buy that car! i bought a 98' cobra with 65k miles with no problems for 6500! (talked him down real good:winks) i kept it till 102k and sold it for 7200.. there are great deals out there gotta look and sometimes wait it out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts