Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup Ya'll~

I just traded in my 2007 mustang and got a 2013 V6 on Sunday and I am starting to look at upgrades. But I am wondering, what does everyone think is worth it? My salesman who is like my brother said with the Cold Air Induction that is on it, an intake system isn't worth it. I'm also thinking about exhaust, just not sure what upgrades are actually worth the money.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
30 Posts
What kind of upgrades are you looking for? If you want to increase rwhp, your best bet is to start with a tune, especially if you have an automatic.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Congrats on the 13. What color? As far as mods, I say loud is good. How does it sound like stock? I liked the tone of mine stock. A set of Flows kept the tone but made it louder.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've heard a few 11+ V6 cars with exhaust and disliked the sound. My stock mufflers will be hanging back there regardless of other mods.

Cold air intakes make more noise than horsepower, but at least it's a pleasant noise, and you do gain a few hp. I haven't added one yet since I'm seriously contemplating a turbo and it would have to come right back off again.

My car dropped almost a full second in the quarter from a tune and a gear and nothing else. That's power you can feel for sure, and totally changed the character of the car. You didn't specify if your car is stick or auto, if its auto the difference will be even more pronounced.

Also worth mentioning, the Steeda front strut tower brace I put on really made a huge difference vs. money spent and ease of install.

Careful, mods are like crack, once you start it's difficult to stop.

R

·
0 Posts
Get it comfy first. If you have the basic plastic steering wheel in there, upgrade to the leather or Boss wheel. Also, find a good shift knob.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
just not sure what upgrades are actually worth the money.
Only you can answer that. People mod their cars because they want something different or better than what the factories supply. Sometimes it's more performance, sometimes it's a different appearance, sometimes it's more comfort, sometimes it's all of these.

For example, some guys go nuts with engine bay appearance mods, often because they show their cars and it's common to display show cars with the hood open. Others never raise the hood except to check the oil (if that) and thus couldn't care less about dressing up the engine.

So: what is important to YOU?

S

·
0 Posts
Replace the stock air filter with a high flow aftermarket replacement like a K&N. You do not need to change the housing for that. Strut tower brace is a must. A good set of sway bars is going to give you better road manners, without hurting comfort. After that, it depends on what you want. Street manners, road handling, drag racing, all require different changes, based on how much you want to spend

·
Registered
155 Posts
I feel, and have experienced along with others, that popular or common mods like CAI and axle back systems are negligible by themselves on 2011+ V6s. This is due to how well Ford made the stock air boxes and exhaust systems coupled with the 3.7's engine and electronics that control cams and ect.

This is not to say that CAI and exhaust will not render you hp. But it has been proven that axle backs are just for sound as they do not add hp, other than 2-4hp maybe for 400+ bucks. Now these mods coupled with a good tune makes a difference, even more so on automatics.

For me, the biggest difference I have noticed was, as far as power goes or the feel of power, was the SCT with Bama tunes along with the 3.55 gear swap. I went from 2.73 to 3.55 but most people will prolly go with a 3.73 over 3.55.

I just cant, at this time, spend 260-300 on a CAI that adds 5hp (although I realize the peak hp gain doesnt really tell the whole story, its the increase throughout the powerband). Or spend 400+ on an axle back system that just sounds better. My best mods really were the springs, panhard, lca's, uca, and strut tower bar, IMO.

But for raw hp and tq upgrades, other than a procharger, I would guess LT headers, O/R X-pipe, gears, and a tune would render the most rwhp at one time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey~

My '13 is a manual tranny. Sorry I didn't mention this in the original post.

I have been looking at new gears and some say it lowers fuel economy. Any thoughts there?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Hey~

I have been looking at new gears and some say it lowers fuel economy. Any thoughts there?
acimburek,

3.73 gears will only lower economy a hair. It really depends on your driving habits more then anything. IMO the loss is extremely bearable and sometimes unnoticeable. You'll need your speedo to be adjusted for the gears, too. You can easily do this with a Bama SF3 tuner or pay a dealer to flash your PCM. Double check with the dealership before installing the gears though!

Bama SF3 tuners are a great way to improve your Mustangs overall performance. You'll see an increase of throttle response, hp/tq, and a few mpg, which will help counter act the loss with gears!

Hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

Shane

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think a set of quality performance tires are well worth it and there’s plenty out there to choose from.

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
Tuning would be the best bang for the buck. There is also the Diablo inTune available and can be switched back to stock and taken to and tune another vehicle. Iow, you can sell the vehicle and take it with you or even put your car back to stock and tune a friends's car to try out if it's supported. The mobility has already been a plus to me since I purchased it in Feb.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hey~

There's lots of threads on this, do a search. Mine dropped +/- 5 mpg on the highway, but actually is getting 2-3 better around town.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Get it comfy first. If you have the basic plastic steering wheel in there, upgrade to the leather or Boss wheel. Also, find a good shift knob.
He has a '13, all the '13s have leather steering wheels now.

·
Administrator
13,275 Posts
All 2013 v6 models come with the leather wrapped wheel:bigthumbsup

OP: congrats on your new car. Where can you buy a car on a Sunday? You sure can`t in my state.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
"Worth it" is completely based on what you want the car to be.

If you want the car to be a LOT faster, a supercharger is "worth it".

If you want it to be louder, exhaust is "worth it". (*)

If you want it to be lower, shocks/springs are "worth it". (*)

If you want it to launch better at the expense of mileage, gears are worth it.

If you want it to generally run better, a tune is "worth it".

If you want it to stop better, better brakes are "worth it".

If you want it to handle better, bigger sway bars and a strut tower brace are "worth it".

If you're afraid the drive shaft will grenade after you supercharge it, a one-piece drive shaft is "worth it".

If you want it to look different, wheels and body mods are "worth it". (*)

If you want better audio, an aftermarket audio system is "worth it".

If you want window tint, it's "worth it". (*)

Items with a "(*)" indicate things that have been "worth it" for me so far.

Oh yeah - if you want it to be YOUR car, don't ask for our opinions. Just do it. You can pretty much determine what everyone else likes by simply reading the forums. :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
OP: congrats on your new car. Where can you buy a car on a Sunday? You sure can`t in my state.
Curious about this myself. It took YEARS before our dealers here in MI even stayed open on Saturday's in this UAW unionized state. The car salesmen beatched up a storm over it at first, but now it's just how cars are sold. Sundays are still an always closed day.

Tim

·
Registered
29 Posts
I asked a similar question

I asked a similar question earlier, but agree with a few others here. It's all based on what you want out of your car. I would say start with a tuner and go from there. I might have just answered my own question as well. A tuner and some gears (if you still have factory).

And as far as others saying where can you buy a car on a Sunday. I bought mine on a Sunday a month ago. I live in California. Didn't realize that any dealer would be closed on a Sunday. I mean people work during the week. Wouldn't it make sense to be open on the weekend?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts