Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if a 62 mm bbk throttle body would really increase horse power 10 to 15. These seems like bs. I saw this on Ebay so it probably is not true. I would also think you would have to retune as well,but that not a big thing.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
No... 7-8 and that's on top of a cam change. The aftermarket TBs are more trouble than they're worth.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Don't waste your money, Not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,I pretty much new that.I just wanted to confirm this.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The only way I would disagree with the above statements is if you were running a twinscrew supercharger with more then 12psi of boost. I picked up 27rwhp going from the stock TB to a BBK--but I was also running a whipple at 16psi.

But--as stated above--not much to be had if your N/A unless you have the full bolt on setup.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
The only way I would disagree with the above statements is if you were running a twinscrew supercharger with more then 12psi of boost. I picked up 27rwhp going from the stock TB to a BBK--but I was also running a whipple at 16psi.
I didn't realize you picked up that much. Are you still running the BBK or did you switch to the GT-500 TB?

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would not go with BBK, if I was it would be a GT 500 throttle body. I am thinking of building the motor first.I am thinking of going with the MMR Annahilator block and maybe FRRP race heads. That should do for awile.I got my driveshaft finally and my saftey loop.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I would not go with BBK, if I was it would be a GT 500 throttle body. I am thinking of building the motor first.I am thinking of going with the MMR Annahilator block and maybe FRRP race heads. That should do for awile.I got my driveshaft finally and my saftey loop.
The Gt-500 is a 65mm.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the adapter kit were available when I bought mine 2 years ago, I'd have gone with the Gt-500.
MMR has some good products. I think building the motor first is going to be my first priority.I got time so I will do this the best I can.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I didn't realize you picked up that much. Are you still running the BBK or did you switch to the GT-500 TB?
Nope--went even bigger---the black diamond wide mouth 1600cfm monster.

Picture below, stock left, BBK center, wide mouth right

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nope--went even bigger---the black diamond wide mouth 1600cfm monster.

Picture below, stock left, BBK center, wide mouth right
Do you think the black diamond would be useful on N/A motors as well? I mean that TB actually seems like it would be a significant improvement over the BBK and worth buying. Think it will get 10-15hp with just bolt-ons?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
The black diamond is only compatible with whipple superchargers they will not bolt to the stock manifold with out some type of custom bracket.

I am not sure if the GT500 Bracket will work or not does any one know if you can use that bracket to install the black diamond to the stock manifold?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Funny how all of us BBK owners seem to be against them. :)
Probably not even worth it on a bone stock engine.
when I first installed mine it kinda felt a little sluggish. got it retuned and it actually made a 12 rwhp difference. Since my waranty is about to expire anyway, think Ill make just a few more changes :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Has anybody see gains with the GT500 TB on a N/A motor? Or are they causing problems similar to the BBK.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.