Discussion Starter #1
Its for mt 1990 5.0 lx. Latemodel Restoration sells the kit
[86-93 msd ignition kit 5.0]
Billet ready to run distributor MSD-8456
Blaster TFI coil MSD-8227
Adapter harness MSD-8874
FRRP red spark plug wires [9mm] m12259r301
$630

My current mods are listed at the bottom I have new 17 in wheels and tires on the way and this summer I will be adding a cam and a very nice set of heads after sub frame connectors. Is this a good replacement for my stock ignition system and if so will it be a good on for all of my mods by the end of summer ?:scratchchin

R

·
0 Posts
That would be a very good ignition upgrade....

That what i would recommend

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I think ill order it :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i thought i put that in there but i must of forgot

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Your not going to gain any power from the Mods but replacing old Ignition Components never hurts, BTW I do not like the MSD Wires at all.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Youll want to ditch the wires soon. IMO Thats a great upgrade but not needed for your mods at the moment. I would save for some AFR heads and possibly a cam. Youll need to figure your golas before the cam addition.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
That's a very good kit, and just for clarification an ignition upgrade does not add power like many have the impression of. It makes a smoother running engine, and when the power level goes up then the benefits of an ignition upgrade will come up. The MSD won't drop spark at higher rpm like the factory ignition can.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Well that's true, the MSD wires are a tad long.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I realize that the msd kit will not add any power, after reading these posts for a month before joining this site all the good advice I could find says build your car to handle the power before you really add the power. So I would like to upgrade the ignition system then add the subframe connectors .Then get into my cam and head, can you clarify did you mean to say figure my goals [spdjnky42] before I add a cam? This is how you guys would recomend for me to build this car right?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Correct, figure out a complete goal for the car (streetable fun car or all out dragster) and go from there.

R

·
0 Posts
I realize that the msd kit will not add any power, after reading these posts for a month before joining this site all the good advice I could find says build your car to handle the power before you really add the power. So I would like to upgrade the ignition system then add the subframe connectors .Then get into my cam and head, can you clarify did you mean to say figure my goals [spdjnky42] before I add a cam? This is how you guys would recomend for me to build this car right?
what is meant by "goal"

what will be the primary use of the car will it be a daily driver ,weekend warrior or will it be used mostly on the track.....

once the above is decieded what will be the performance level of the build

what will be the budget for the build.......

The mistake many people make is they just throw parts together thast don't match or what they read or heard about.....

the secret to a good build is planing & research......

right now you are trying to make a mistake......

at this time you don't need the msd ignition system

my sugesstion for you since you have installed a set of gears & exhaust

work on your suspension....

after which begin you engine mods..... H/C/I

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The guy I bought the car off of said it had bbk suspension all the way around I dont know any thing about suspension but I couldnt find any bbk suspension parts in my magazines,so I figured he was bs me or just didnt know what he was talkin about? So lets assume I do have a after market suspension how can I tell? Second Question if I dont where do I begin? Iam not rich $$$ but I have money to spend and will spend it this car is very nice and fast as is ,but I want a very very fast street car. This site is awesome and you guys rock :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not to race it on the street reggie dont worry.I just want to have something I can show of to my friends and pull up next to people and sound mean as hell.But I do want to drive this car to the track and run it too. I'am with you reggie street racing is stupid a good way to kill your self our sombody else. :bigthumbsup

So I schould just try to find these bbk parts on my car and see if it has a suspension? It does ride very nice for a 19 year old car but this is my first mustang my friend road in it and he said it felt like it had a suspension but I would like to be sure before I move onto the next step of the build. The car does not apear to be loweared and if it is its not much so I dot think it has those bbk springs on there. Will all those parts be stamped bbk on with stamped with another aftermarket manufatures tag reggie ?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.