Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to trade my 05 manny tranny in on a 07 automatic. I do drag race and am going to put a saleen supercharger on whatever I have. Anyone regret the same sort of trade or any good reason not to trade?

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
IMHO....unless I lost one of my arms or legs...I want the manual tranny over the auto any day of the week (and twice on Sundays). In a muscle car, I like to feel like I am driving and not being driven around. However, I will note, if you are a daily driver in traffic, or are a arm and/or leg amputee...then maybe an auto is fine. I do not drag race enough to really know if an auto is better than a manual. But I will say this, when the dust settles, it is your car, and if you prefer an auto, then by all means go for it.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
mrvandermay, I couldn't agree more. Having an automatic is one step away from having a chauffeur.

I want to drive my car, not steer it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
speco2005 said:
I have the chance to trade my 05 manny tranny in on a 07 automatic. I do drag race and am going to put a saleen supercharger on whatever I have. Anyone regret the same sort of trade or any good reason not to trade?
Personally, I would not because I drove an auotmatic for 9 years before the Stang. I just plain enjoy driving the manual. I live about 7 miles from work, so any drive for me is a pleasure drive.

It boils down to what YOU want????

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unless I become physically incapable of driving a stick, I wouldn't trade my 5 speed GT for an auto. I traded a ten month old 2006 Dodge Charger R/T auto for my '07 GT because I couldn't get used to a driving a car that decided when it wanted to shift, not when I wanted to shift.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If I had a nice Cadillac, I would want it auto. But if it is a coupe, sporty looking car, it would have to be manual.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm just the opposite. I slam around an 18 spd all day so when I get home I'm done shifting.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I had an auto for almost 2 years...great in traffic good pickup....however after 1 month with the 5 speed..I dont miss the auto at all....

·
Registered
18 Posts
There's no way. The thought would never even cross my mind.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
I will admit, I want and love an automatic transmission in my new F-150. But in my Stang, I agree, I would not have bought it if it were an auto. But do not let us decide what is best for you....your car your choice.

·
Registered
183 Posts
speco2005 said:
You can always go AOD w/ a trans-brake.;)

·
Registered
767 Posts
It all depends on what you want out of the car, and what your future plans for the car are. The people saying they want to drive the car and not just steer the car have obviously never driven a >11 second car.

My car is a manual tranny car. It is also nearly 500 hp to the wheels. I go to the track as often as possible. If at some point in time I decide to do a motor build and change from a SC to a turbo, I am definitely going to consider an Art Carr AOD conversion.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input guys The Saleen goes on in the morning. I can trade later in a couple of years on a Bullit or a Boss maybe, but for now its manny tranny SC all the way for me.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I did trade for an auto,(and now back to manual), and really regreted it, I have bad knees....but who cares the manual rocks.

·
Registered
25,098 Posts
After buying the GT with the auto trans, (and taking a lot of
grief over that)...My knee was previously hurt bad enough that even
walking the mall most of the time hurts by the end of the day, so shifting
all the time in heavy traffic would really suck. If I would have
bought the manual I think it would have taken the "joy" out of
driving my new car. There are many days I think how nice it would
be to have a stick but, in the end I need to do what is practical.
So... If you can drive a stick with no problems do it!!!!
If your like me..stick it in gear and drive!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nope I'm digging what I got and staying with a auto.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had an auto, it lasted 3 months, traded for a manual.......its a daily driver in traffic and I dont regret it at all. Manual in the GT all the way.

In my truck....auto.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts