Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently sitting in the waiting room of my local Ford dealership waiting for a ride to work and thought I would ask everyones opinion. I mentioned the orange peel in my hood along with my passenger seat cover that is seperating, and they told me that if it needs work, they would have to drive my car to their body shop in downtown austin, about 15 miles away. Now I really don't want someone driving my car that far in downtown traffic. What are your thoughts?

G

·
0 Posts
Take it there yourself. The bodyshop at the dealer I work at is right across the street but the Ford dealer I bought my car at does not have a bodyshop at all.

Regarding orange peel, while I can't see how bad yours is having some orange peel is completely normal. Even the $200,000 Mercedes I work on have it.

My '67 has a $12,700 paint job that has been wet-sanded to perfection. If you want your car looking like that you will have to pay for it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, I would tell them if they need to do that, just let it sit til you can get it...then you will take it there yourself. 15 miles is a lot for someone to go nuts with the car lol.

·
Registered
198 Posts
No I wouldn't, my dealer doesn't have their own body shop either, I suspect that may be a trend in the business. If I had a GT500 I wouldn't let my wife drive it to the end of the driveway.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S

·
0 Posts
No I wouldn't, my dealer doesn't have their own body shop either, I suspect that may be a trend in the business. If I had a GT500 I wouldn't let my wife drive it to the end of the driveway.
My wife is not even allowed to touch the driver side door -:)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
what's mykey?
MyKey allows you to program one of your keys to somewhat restrict the operation of the vehicle ... limit the top speed to 80mph, limit the sound system volume to about halfway, prevent traction control from being disabled, etc. Refer to your owner's manual for details.

I think the feature is primarily intended as a nanny for teenaged drivers, and I guess it has its merits, but it would be a lot more useful if it allowed you to, say, limit the engine speed to 4000 RPM or whatever. As it is, there's apparently nothing to prevent someone from trying to hit that 80 MPH limit in first gear.

·
Registered
162 Posts
:heha:

My wife is not even allowed to touch the driver side door -:)
:heha: I hope your wife's don't have your password on here. LOL!

MyKey allows you to program one of your keys to somewhat restrict the operation of the vehicle ... limit the top speed to 80mph, limit the sound system volume to about halfway, prevent traction control from being disabled, etc. Refer to your owner's manual for details.

I think the feature is primarily intended as a nanny for teenaged drivers, and I guess it has its merits, but it would be a lot more useful if it allowed you to, say, limit the engine speed to 4000 RPM or whatever. As it is, there's apparently nothing to prevent someone from trying to hit that 80 MPH limit in first gear.
MyKey doesn't work on all mustangs right? Or do you have to go to Ford and get a special key that will cost and arm and a leg?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
D, I would worry more about them not knowing how to drive a stick in traffic. Without meaning to insult you take this time to read the manual while they fix your car. :)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
MyKey doesn't work on all mustangs right? Or do you have to go to Ford and get a special key that will cost and arm and a leg?
I don't know when MyKey first became available, but it's now standard equipment, even on the base cars.

The keys supplied with your car (with the integrated door lock and trunk release buttons) contain a chip that can be programmed by the owner. You should have gotten two keys; one is supposed to remain the "administrator" key while the other (the "MyKey") is programmed with the chosen restrictions. I've never done it but per the owner's manual, the basic procedure is to insert the key to be programmed into the ignition and use the three buttons that control the Message Center to set the various options.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Just drive it there yourself, you'll have the peace of mind. That's what I would do...

·
Registered
830 Posts
I went to vegas and was looking through the mykey options, not knowing what it really was. I accidentally turned it on, and was stuck driving 60 with low volume all the way back home to LA! When you set the mykey, that key becomes restricted. The other key becomes the admin key. The only way to turn off mykey is to use the admin key.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I went to vegas and was looking through the mykey options, not knowing what it really was. I accidentally turned it on, and was stuck driving 60 with low volume all the way back home to LA! When you set the mykey, that key becomes restricted. The other key becomes the admin key. The only way to turn off mykey is to use the admin key.
The lowest speed limit setting is 80mph, so you could have easily sped up.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
As others have already said, definitely just drive it there yourself.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Agreed... driving any further than on the premises is not acceptable. Even if they can't provide transportation from that other location.

And if for some reason they balk at you wanting to go to that other location I'd be changing dealers. And if that body shop isn't actually them, I'd be changing dealers too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts