Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mustang is no longer a cheap car to purchase, given that most of our cars are pushing $40k+ (not to mention what many do in terms of mods afterwards). Considering the vehicle is a second (or third) car in some cases and defined by many as toy, it seems to no longer be as 'reachable' to as many folks as it was 20 or more years ago.

With all the various complaints on these forums from minor (paint, scratch prone plastics, pony's falling off etc) vs major (transmission) I am wondering the following:

Would you be willing to pay a couple of grand more for your Mustang if you knew many of these issues (real, percieved, or otherwise) could be eliminated, and interiors/quality in general could be upgraded?

Has the Mustang market in general moved upward, now attracting a different type of buyer...ie more disposable income, diserning (complaining!!), ex BMW, Audi driver?

No change to the terrific power/performance, just better paint, better transmission, better leather etc...would you pay a bit more for it?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Maybe I would pay up a bit, but definitely not much. For all its perceived cheapness, it's still a helluva car and great bang for the buck imo.

$2k is probably the top I'd consider. Like if I could trade back the glass roof for a number of minor improvements, I'd happily do it.

G

·
0 Posts
With all the various complaints on these forums from minor (paint, scratch prone plastics, pony's falling off etc) vs major (transmission) I am wondering the following:

Would you be willing to pay a couple of grand more for your Mustang if you knew many of these issues (real, percieved, or otherwise) could be eliminated,
There is a flaw in this logic; money does not eliminate problems. Case in point, I work for Mercedes. These people are paying up to $200,000 for a car, and even they can and do break down. Ferraris can catch on fire, etc. Problems exist in every car make and model. This is wishful thinking.

There are a few things I would have been willing to pay for if they were available, but that is what the aftermarket is for. (aftermarket parts do not automatically void warranties)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes. There are two classes of buyers: Price driven and quality driven. I suspect that for enthusiast cars, they should be quality driven, so long as the no-option models are available for the guys whose purpose is the lightest most modded race car.

But quality, its always worth paying. Would I pay an extra grand to know I won't get a broken transmission or peeling paint? You bet. I can skip the NAV package with 2-zone air conditioning if I want to save money. But I can't skip a good transmission or paint that still looks good in 5 years. Those should be mandatory.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not suggesting money will eliminate problems, and fully agree with your post. There are $20k lemons and $60k lemons. However, money will buy better leather, and better material in general which some people would value.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The formula that has gotten the Mustang to where it is today is to offer a powerful platform with a slight sacrifice of refinement. With that being said take a look what few sacrifices we have to make these days! The beast of a car you have on order is a steal at 40K and you probably wont have any more issues than a guy that paid 60K for his BMW M3. Remember theses forums are an outlet for people to come to when they have problems, so we hear a lot of negatives.

I rather like the fact that I have about the most base model Mustang you can get. It's a lot of car for 24K. With the huge bolt-on aftermarket, its a fun process transforming it to exactly how I want it. Don't get me wrong, an M3 would be nice...but it wouldn't be a Mustang.

:)

G

·
0 Posts
The beast of a car you have on order is a steal at 40K and you probably wont have any more issues than a guy that paid 60K for his BMW M3. Remember theses forums are an outlet for people to come to when they have problems, so we hear a lot of negatives.
:)
$60k might get you a used M3.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Nope. The next step up that would still be an OVERALL improvement on this car would be way too much for me to ever consider buying. I'm ok with the plastic steering wheel clamshell that I've never even looked at on a car, the lack of time travel capability, and cup holders that won't hold a large Farva whilst not requiring me to move my arm a bit to shift.

Not that I couldn't afford it, but it's a matter of principle. No way I'm paying $60K for a damn car. There are areas in the country where you can buy a decent house for that much. I'll pass.

B

·
0 Posts
I agree with that. You don't have to spend alot on a mustang to have alot of fun. If you follow the LMR blog they made some great improvements for very little money and ended up with a very competent track car.

·
Registered
352 Posts
$60k might get you a used M3.
Yeah I imagine out the door it's always going to be 60k+. According to BMW:

M3
Coupe: $58,900
Sedan: $55,900
Vert: $67,550

I have to admit it'd be nice to have 4-doors and still haul a$$

·
Registered
179 Posts
What if Lincoln built something on the mustang platform?
They could call it a Lincoln Gelding!!!!:yelwacko::kooky::heha::kooky::heha:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yes, people would have paid a couple grand more for a few improvements that seem like no brainers to others... in fact, it would only have cost them $500 or so and they could have banked another 2k off us easily.

Does it get away from the target demographic at this point?... probably. But that is why they should option you to death ... more so than they did. We should have the choice of real leather in this thing, a real steering wheel, a real clutch... etc.

In the end though, it's a Ford. You can't expect more than that. Bang for the buck, yes it is great. But as you know, bang for the buck isn't all that matters. If that were the case, everybody here would be shopping at the dollar store as well.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
IMO these cars are waaaaaaay over priced for what they are. Cheap plastic, subpar paint, cheap interior, crap transmission; granted the engine is bad ass, the rest of the car is not worth 30K+. The base GT should not cost more than 26K. Yet i'm being a hypocrite because I bought one for 28K.

I look at mustangs and laugh because they have all this fancy crap in it; navigation, hids, leather, mood lighting, heated seats, sync, etc.... IMO a mustang should be cheap and raw, none of this fancy crap. This is my opinion of course.

·
Banned
109 Posts
I just traded in my base 11 GT with the brembos and 3.73 gears only for another new 11 GT/CS. This one is loaded with electronics and hids and all. And Its so much nicer than the base car. I made the excuses that all I needed was the performance, didnt need the frills. But Im only driving this thing like a racecar about 5% of the time. The other 95% of the time, its boring. The base radio sucks, no bluetooth either. The steering wheel also ugly as hell. The base headlights are junk and the 3.73 gears make me wish it was a 7 speed. All that plus the brembo pkg tires are so DAMN sticky, they pickup every rock and pebble from the street and throw it at the side of the car. At 1100 miles, it already had several, and I mean several rock chips on the rockers at all 4 corners. Very disappointed.

Now the new car.... The nav/sync/dvd/bluetooth audio/usb in/aux in/weather/traffic/entertainment/gas price and station finder and so on will keep you interested until the cows come home. Its a computer in the car, and its pretty to look at. The premium gauges are all that and then some. Love the colored halo and backround. And the HID headlights are the best lights I have ever seen. So crisp and clear. And lastly the 3.55 gears make it cruise smooth, but will drop the hammer as hard as you want. It was worth the $7K more for the new one. And now that I have all this stuff, I dont want to live without it.....!!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
first I think most would pay a little more to get more. But as many have said even the highest priced cars have issues. The question is are you getting what you are paying for, and in the case of the mustang I do believe we are. I think you are over stating the prices we are paying for the mustang. yes there are some who are paying 40 plus for thier mustangs, however there are many who do not get out of the 20's for a ride. What you are getting is a fairly refined economy sports car. You want to see over priced for quality, look at a vette. yes it is a world class sports car. However, it is full of cheap plastics, the seats leave much to be desired, the ride is, well its a sports car so I will leave that alone. But Vette owners go into it knowing what they are getting. If they wanted a Lambo, they would get it if they could afford it. most cant so they get a car that gives similar speed and handling but for less than half the price. When you go economical you expect plastics, and some issues. this is why we have warranty's on new cars, becuase they have issues. People please, why buy a mustang to complain about it. yes there is a serious transmission issue and Ford should confront it, but come on complaining about the leather in a 29,000 dollar car comopared to the leather in a 50, 000 dollar car. Think of it like a womans purse if you will. My wife can go buy a leather purse for 20 bucks and it will be nice. But when you look at it next to a 300 dollar coach bag it just looks cheap. A King ranch truck costs 50 plus to drive home, a premuimmustang V6 runs you 30. Im just saying we get what we pay for.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
first I think most would pay a little more to get more. But as many have said even the highest priced cars have issues. The question is are you getting what you are paying for, and in the case of the mustang I do believe we are. I think you are over stating the prices we are paying for the mustang. yes there are some who are paying 40 plus for thier mustangs, however there are many who do not get out of the 20's for a ride. What you are getting is a fairly refined economy sports car. You want to see over priced for quality, look at a vette. yes it is a world class sports car. However, it is full of cheap plastics, the seats leave much to be desired, the ride is, well its a sports car so I will leave that alone. But Vette owners go into it knowing what they are getting. If they wanted a Lambo, they would get it if they could afford it. most cant so they get a car that gives similar speed and handling but for less than half the price. When you go economical you expect plastics, and some issues. this is why we have warranty's on new cars, becuase they have issues. People please, why buy a mustang to complain about it. yes there is a serious transmission issue and Ford should confront it, but come on complaining about the leather in a 29,000 dollar car comopared to the leather in a 50, 000 dollar car. Think of it like a womans purse if you will. My wife can go buy a leather purse for 20 bucks and it will be nice. But when you look at it next to a 300 dollar coach bag it just looks cheap. A King ranch truck costs 50 plus to drive home, a premuimmustang V6 runs you 30. Im just saying we get what we pay for.
It will always be a Ford. Even at 40... the leather is vinyl, the plastic is real plastic... the lack of attention to detail prevailed… was that the UAW?. I thought that was what the extra 15k was supposed to overcome. But not so lucky here. a turd is a turd, but a a good priced turd!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The thing is not to pay more to get more, it's to expect more for what you did pay for it.
But knowing that I couldn't expect more for what I did pay for, I had no choice but to hope I would get more by paying more. (.i.e. real leather, or something that doesn't feel like dead rat).

It's a Ford and I see know it doesn't work that way.

Hell.. it will probably be my first and last Ford. I just wanted to drive a V8 for a while. Might not be able to do it again! At least there is a "fun" aspect to the drive... not confidence in inspiring, but different.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.