Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hear is the story, i drove to the store which is about 2 miles from my place. When i get out of my car coolant starts pooring out...all of it. After examining the engine i noticed that a wire was disconnected from the radiator fan...after connecting it and fillign the car up with coolant it was fine. Now...how much damage did this cause to the engine?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
i am not too sure on the 4.6L mustangs but i had something similar happen to me, i was driving down interstate and my car was getting warmer and that wasnt uncommon with my 1978 camaro when AC was on... so i turned it off and it kept getting warmer. when i pulled over on the next exit my outlet to radiator was not there i apperantly earlier either my dad or me didnt put the clamp for the hose after the lip that secures it. Now to answer your Q i dont believe that with an old block like my camaro Cast Iron.. much will happen but if its a aluminum block or heads or what ever there is a greater chance for warping or cracking. i could be wrong but thats the stories i heard with my old camaro.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Had the car been run for long prior to the trip to the store?? 2 miles isn't a very long way, barely enough driving to get the car into the normal operating temp band. As long as you keep an eye on the temp gage for the next few days, I think you'll be fine. It might not be a bad idea to change the oil and look for water and do the same with the coolant, change it and look for oil. Any contamination of one into the other means you have an issue that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
yea, that too lol =) forgot to mention that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If your check engine light hasn't come on and your car is running normally then you shouldnt have anything to worry about. The only problem you could have had would have been your engine block cracking do to extreme temperatures. As long as your car isnt over heating and seems to be running smoothly i wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
russianstang said:
So hear is the story, i drove to the store which is about 2 miles from my place. When i get out of my car coolant starts pooring out...all of it. After examining the engine i noticed that a wire was disconnected from the radiator fan...after connecting it and fillign the car up with coolant it was fine. Now...how much damage did this cause to the engine?
As long as you were driving you had sufficient airlow thru your radiator. Besides that you also have to know that cast Iron V8 Motors are not affected that much by missing coolant. It would have been much worse on an aluminum engie-block.
I say worst case you have a head gasket fail on you. But I give it a chance of less than 5% to happen.

Keep cruisin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.