Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wanted a darker dash panel in my car with a bit less glare. The 401A dark stainless panel is nice, but its very retro looking and I wanted a bit more modern look for the car. Unfortunately all pics are with an iPhone, my dslr setup is currently missing a wide angle lens (something I keep meaning to buy/replace)

So I hopped on ebay, and bought a length of carbon fiber vinyl wrap.

I carefully removed all the dash panels (pretty straightforward, just remember to disconnect battery before disconnecting airbag on passenger side). I used this link: Ford Service Manuals - 2011 to read the service manual on removing the panels (the cluster surround pulls out, the airbag is removed by two bolts you access from under the glovebox with it dropped, and the remaining panels are held in by 5x 7mm bolts). Once the parts were out, I made quick work of disassembling the chrome trim rings, AC vents and other parts to get to the bare panels. There's no real documentation on how to do it, but its pretty straight forward. Some smooth flat objects (I used some old butterknives) make quick work of undoing all the latches.

I tried a couple different methods of installing the vinyl, but there's two basic techniques that are musts: water + heat. Using a spray bottle, I sprayed down the part (and the vinyl) that was getting applied:

Id apply the vinyl, then using a squeegee get all the bubbles and water out, leaving a well adhered smooth surace.

Then using heat from a blowdryer, I "pulled" all the edges around to "form" the vinyl to the complex shapes (may appear to be flat panels, but you really need to wrap all around to get the OEM look and quality of finish I wanted). I'd trim the excess, and make sure that there

here is one finished piece:

some installed shots:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
That looks awesome!!!! How do you get the vinyl to stick to the dash parts?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wow that looks great.
I have same interior and the parts that bother me
most are console and area around radio.
Do you think this would work there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This would work for the console, the vinyl has a pressure release adhesive

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Wow. This is very impressive. I think you did an excellent job. Looks factory. Personally I'd like the darker OEM finish of the 401A in my V6 202A.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Outstanding work Chris. I'd pay to have that done by you because of the professional look. I just love innovative ideas with great outcome.

Well done Sir!

·
Registered
116 Posts
That looks awesome. I know what I'll be doing in a couple of weeks when I have some time off. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I really like that. How much material do you think you ended up using?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
What a quality craftsmanship job! Kudos.

On the other hand, I am glad I have a '12 so I don't have to worry about making my dash pretty :gringreen

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
That's the nicest finish on a dash I've seen to date. I've seen all the offerings from Ford as well as a zillion aftermarket dash stick on kits. What I love most is the non glossy textured finish. It looks so high end.

Just imagine what the car would look like if the radio bezel, console, and window switch plates were covered with this stuff? The radio bezel and console plastics look cheap IMHO and scream to be done with something, anything.

Please post an ebay link for the material.

Too bad I don't live in Arizona so I could get some help. I would pay anyone in Ontario who has experience with wrapping (ie 3M or Classic Neffy type wraps) to help me with this project. Lots of beers are no charge !!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
looks great - I'm surprised to see so many kudos since a previous poll on cf dash trim had a majority of members vote against putting cf on/in mustangs.

How hot does your car get in Arizona? I'm worried about peeling or bubbling if the car sits in the sun for a day. but applying heat to the vinyl should help.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
looks great - I'm surprised to see so many kudos since a previous poll on cf dash trim had a majority of members vote against putting cf on/in mustangs.

How hot does your car get in Arizona? I'm worried about peeling or bubbling if the car sits in the sun for a day. but applying heat to the vinyl should help.
You're right. Not all adhesives are created equal, with 3M being at the top (heck the side scopes and louvers are attached with it). I'm worried about some of the offerings on ebay which are priced low (china?). For this type of product I'd definitely spend a little more for peace of mind. Some say 3M wrap is good although I'm not sure if it looks different than the OP's. Perhaps the OP can comment on the adhesive and if he did any torture tests with it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Very nice job & good post.

Will you do the center stack / console next? I was planning to do that to mine because that part seems so plain.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts