Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I am doing a hci swap on my 5.0 and about a week ago I got up to adjusting the rockers and saw that their is play in some even with the rocker bolt tightened all the way down. I bought stock length pushrods because so many people say they work good with most mild cam set ups and I am running a Trick Flow stage 1 cam. Pushrods are too short so I ordered the tool to check and an going to get to that part thursday but my question is why dont they fit? I have a Trick Flow stage 1 cam edelbrock performer heads with pushrod guide plates stock reproduction lifters and 1.6 roller rockers. Not a big deal I will get the right ones soon but im just curious. Also anyone run this set up? what size did you use

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just put in new gt40x heads with new rockers and had to get shorter rods. I didn't even replace the cam yet. Usually when you replace heads with aftermarket/performance heads you going to have some change.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you had to get shorter rods?? I need longer thats wierd

·
Registered
6 Posts
i remember reading years ago in the edelbrock catalog that when you put there heads on you needed longer pushrods, a friend had the same problem, i think he had to get longer pushrods too

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
different length pushrods for the same head on different engines is not weird,nor uncommon..every setup is different,thats why they make these:
Trick Flow Specialties TFS-9000 - Trick Flow® Adjustable Pushrod Length Checkers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

bottom line..you need to measure for YOUR car..doesnt matter what somebody else is running..only way to be accurate is to measure for yourself

also,to properly measure,you need to convert an old hydraulic lifter to soild,or, to measure with a hydraulic lifter in place,you need to install soft checking springs and the pump up the lifters(by priming the oil pump via a drill thru the distributor hole)..otherwise,with a stiff valvespring in place,the hyd lifter will bleed out too quickly and you wont get an accurate measurement

these steps should be done during engine assembly,not after...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts