Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys gotta question....my buddy knows a guy thats wants to race, hes got a 2006 STi with a stage 2 turbo and i gotta 2006 mustang GT manual with SLP axle-back exhaust and thats it for now, but do i stand a chance at all against him??? thanks for the info

Craig

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Hate to say it, but not really. The weight advantage for the STi is huge. It would take a few more bolt-ons I think.

·
Registered
383 Posts
yeah, not gonna happen sadley. see if he will give you a little headstart, maybe you could get him then.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Plus too, the Subie has AWD, so he might get you on launch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what i was afraid of....it was gunna happen tonight but 4 cops surrounded my car saying there was a complaint about a white mustang being too loud....i guess the Loudmouths will cause that

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I saw a couple of WRX"s go down the track last year, and they stuck like they were glued to the track. You will have your hands full and then some.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
The only way your going to beat that car even with a CAI and tune is with some rear suspension and tires. I think they can pull low 13's on street tires.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My younger sister's '07 WRX is freakin' sick. I think between the V6 and the WRX (non STi) there is a 100 pound weight difference, and hp to wheels is actually almost exactly the same (I think the 'Stang pulls ahead just a little because the Subaru loses a HUGE amount of hp to the AWD system).

But that thing can destroy my car at any time. Subaru really did that AWD right. I have pushed and pushed that car, and I just can not get the thing to break traction. I'll go into a right angle (edit: forgot the sharpness of the corner) corner at 10mph, come out of it at 40mph. All that power is always connected to the ground by at least one sturdy point. You have a better chance being ripped from the wheel before the car begins struggling in a turn.

And that is just the WRX. The STi's, I would assume, are monsters, especially a Stage 2. Pretty close to the same weight as the WRX, but more wicked, with the standard STi putting out the same horsepower as your GT, not to mention you're at a weight disadvantage with 2 more cylinders from the V6 (since it has a somewhat close weight).

Don't do it, dude. Not before some bolt ons. That or coat your tires in superglue to match how those things stick on the road.

Let's just say there is a reason I cheat on my 'Stang with those cars....

·
Registered
184 Posts
thats what i was afraid of....it was gunna happen tonight but 4 cops surrounded my car saying there was a complaint about a white mustang being too loud....i guess the Loudmouths will cause that

Every time I've been to a drag strip I've never seen a cop stop a race or a car shut down because it was too loud including top fuelers. Damn, the drag strip where you are must be a "kinder and gentler drag strip" go to a different one.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
73 Posts
Weight is close but that STI probably has about 100hp on you in addition to tighter gearing and an adjustable AWD system. Any idiot can launch one. Just dial up 4000rpms and dump the clutch and let the computer-controlled AWD take over.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Weight is close but that STI probably has about 100hp on you in addition to tighter gearing and an adjustable AWD system. Any idiot can launch one. Just dial up 4000rpms and dump the clutch and let the computer-controlled AWD take over.

I beg to differ.. My buddy has a 05 STI, of course its not stock.. anyhow, he'd launch at that, but you cant just DUMP the clutch on an AWD car.. same w/ the evo(my other buddy has one).. if you dump it in either of their cars, all fours will be spinning down the track.. ive been with him when he launched it at 3500rpm.. it spun all the way to 7k(redline)..you have to feather it just right and quick..( that was when he was stock too)..

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I saw an 08 STI today. Those things look scary just cuz they have the same performance as the prevous models, but are the size of like a civic hatchback. Must be seriously light.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol noo i wasnt at the track...it was in a neighborhood where i was talking to the guy then we were gunna go on an abandoned road haha

·
Registered
347 Posts
Don't do it!!! My son has a 05 wrx sti stage 2 turbo, bigger innercooler, upgraded injector's and a dyno tune on a four wheel dyno in austin. Plus he run's the nitto drag tire's. 0-80 4.7 second's. I've whatched him tear down a Z06 vet, and a SRT 10 single cab dodge at the track. You will need a little more i think.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I've heard the regular WRX turbo can be beaten by a v6 stang stock for stock, but for sure not the sti or sti stage 2. Even with a GT you'd be beaten. Get yourself a Kenne Bell twin screw supercharger and then go out and play with the forced induction guys. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
363 Posts
My buddy has a STI stage 2 and let me drive it a few times. I'm not a big fan of foreign cars, but MAN does that thing accelerate and handle like a dream.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I beg to differ.. My buddy has a 05 STI, of course its not stock.. anyhow, he'd launch at that, but you cant just DUMP the clutch on an AWD car.. same w/ the evo(my other buddy has one).. if you dump it in either of their cars, all fours will be spinning down the track.. ive been with him when he launched it at 3500rpm.. it spun all the way to 7k(redline)..you have to feather it just right and quick..( that was when he was stock too)..
The STI's AWD system has been improved since 05 and is far more balanced by default. In the 06 and up, you can dump the clutch if it's bone stock and your tires are halfway decent and the road is clean. I've launched one myself and it's one of the easiest launches to get right I've ever done. The Evos changed in 05 when they added the active center differential and limited revs in neutral to 5k RPMs. On a good surface, those tend to bog because of that rev limiter and the fact that their stock clutch is crap and if you dump the clutch you'll burn the disc surfaces out in no time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
^^^^ The kid in that Cobra doesn't know how to drive worth $hit. I could beat him in my work beater VW Golf. Let me get behind the wheel of that Cobra.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't know what a stage 2 is but I ran a WRX STi with my 2007 GT with all the basic mods. It depends on how far you run. If its' a 1/4 or less he may get ahead but you will pull ahead as speed builds. I ran the guy up the on ramp and onto the tollway and started to pull ahead at about 100mrh. Then it was bye bye. Up to that he was 1/2 to 3/4 length ahead due to a better start. They will always get you on the start. A rolling start is a fair race with an AWD car.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.